Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's interesting that most silver owners have taken off their roof rails. I like the looks of mine so much better without them.

I saw an earlier Forester at a stoplight this morning and saw that its roof rack was much more functional - there were rails along the roof in parallel to the main rails, and there were holes in the main rail holders through which ropes could pass - it looked much more useful than my roof rails which are useless without additional parts.

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
I'm not sure that it's one peticular color. I think that almost everyone who doesn't use the racks on a regular bases has removed them.

Black and cross barless.

Ben

EDIT: Are you talking about the cross bars or the entire roof set up?

·
Administrator
14,751 Posts
The pics in the Gallery of silver Foresters is deceiving I think. You see the rails on the XT are actually silver / aluminium in colour - so they are there. Mine on the other hand are black and more obvious.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I take them off for road trips.
Wind noise elimination & fuel economy savings.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
My X-bars have been off since I got the car.

I have never seen anyone remove the entire roof rail assembly though.

If you found someone that did post it up!

·
Registered
934 Posts
mine are off unless in need them.. plus i like the car better that way. and i have a silver xt

·
Administrator
14,751 Posts
Kevin said:
The pics in the Gallery of silver Foresters is deceiving I think. You see the rails on the XT are actually silver / aluminium in colour - so they are there. Mine on the other hand are black and more obvious.
Ahhh - a little confused re terminology I think. I refer to roof "rails" as the part that runs along the roof of the car to which the roof "racks" are then attached across the car. :?

·
Captain Obvious
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Benrock05201 said:
EDIT: Are you talking about the cross bars or the entire roof set up?
I meant the cross bars, sorry.

Luckily for those of us with silver cars, the rails just blend right in without the cross bars to draw attention.

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
You just need to add silver bits on other colors, black in my case, to make them look like they belong there. Silver wheels (I'm still on stockers for now) and my silver "rally pigs" help it out.

Ben

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Kevin said:
ahartfie said:
Luckily for those of us with silver cars, the rails just blend right in without the cross bars to draw attention.
But only XT's - my XS has black rails :(
And we dont get the crossbars as std.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
Just got an 06 FX and am looking for the right size torx bit to remove the crossbars (or should I have gotten a tool for this in the tool kit). Anyone know the size bit?

Mike

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Don't know the size but I bet if you check your glove box or tool kit in the back you'll find it! Unless the dealer ripped ya!

·
Premium Member
2014 RDX AWD W/Tech
745 Posts
My forester is silver and I still have the bars on. Since I don't have a garage to keep them in, I kept them on the car. It was that or my front porch.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
The crossbar bolts take a T-27 driver (on our 04).

If you take the crossbars off, be very careful to put the inside clamps back on (when you put the bars back on) correctly. Otherwise, it's all too easy to cross-thread the bolts. And your dealer will make a lot of money off you if you need to buy new ones (voice of experience here).

Regarding the rails themselves: doesn't taking them off leave holes in the roof? What do you do about that? HPH

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I think they sell a kit to replace the rails but it involves removing the headliner to get to the bolts. I'm waiting for one of us to guinea pig it. Took my crossbars off when I first got the car and haven't needed them since. Well maybe to carry bikes but I thought the bumper mount was a lot easier.

D

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of the railess roofs??? I would love to see how it looks without them.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
well, I checked the tool kit and the glove box, no torx tool. What else should be included with the tool kit so I can go beat up the dealer?

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts