Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So making my journey back to college after spring break, my subaru overheats... a few times. Everytime, there was almost no coolant in the radiator, but the overflow was full. The system was not pressureized either everytime I took the radiator cap off.. I am not seeing any signs of a leak, but I am still hesitant. I pressure checked the system when I got into town, and it showed a very very small bleed off, I am thinking it was the pressureizer it self.

I am thinking it is the radiator cap, but a gut feeling of mine says head gaskets... again.

I need input on this please.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Your splashguard underneath can hide a multitude of sins.

Assuming you don't have hose leaks, your symptoms could fit a cooling system being artificially pressurised from the combustion chamber across the (leaking) gasket head.

I recommend you read this article start to finish, it says it all better than I can and talks extensively about how the cooling can be affected by leaking head gaskets.

Subaru Head Gaskets Problems Explained Part II :

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no splash guard lol

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Me neither, here's what I use mine for! :chair:

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read that article before, Its very informational.

So if it is to be a head gasket leak, it might just be the cap (I hope) but, what brand of head gasket sealer is recommended.

I HATE using stop leak and stuff like it, but since I don't have the money or the time to pull the engine and replace the head gaskets right now. I would need a temporary fix so I could drive it 400 miles home this summer.

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
224 Posts
ryanlarue i am in the same boat, i have all the gaskets and such but still not sure its my head gasket. i noticed while labeling everything that i aready have a MLS gasket in place from where the motor was supposedly rebuilt. i have a massive valve cover gasket leak too. last night i decided to fluch my cooling system, drained and filled with water, ran the car, took for ever to warm up, had good heat etc. i still am not convinced its my head gaskets. not sure what to at this point. i have a new cap and and subaru thermo stat. my top hose was extremely hot and the bottom was cold took over 45 minutes of running to get the bottom hose to even get warm.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks! At this point, I am just looking for a short block to rebuild to swap in, if I could find one. I havent checked the hoses yet, I am too scared to even start it :/

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought some blue devil pour-n-go. I'll see what it does.

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
224 Posts
i did something i have never done, i did put some bars leaks with the pellets in. all it did for me was turn my coolant a god awful color. looks about what oil looks lik in water, minus the rainbow. i am going to start tearing mine down some more tonight, would love to flush it one more time but it is cold and snowing here. i am sure i wouldnt get water to come out of the hose attached to the house. i am going to atleast get the timing belt off and see what the water pump looks/feels like. i really do not want to take the heads off.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done that before. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have yet to use the blue devil stuff in the car but today, I let it fully warm up and I just watched the overflow. I saw no bubbles. I also ran it without the radiator cap with no problems. :confused:

The bottom hose seemed a little cooler than the upper and both hoses felt to be as hard as a rock!

At this point, I am very confused as to where I should look.

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
224 Posts
ryan see my thread i just posted, i started taking mine apart and found a bad tensioner, i took the TB off by HAND! i am really hoping this is all it was. all the pulley bearings were shot too. now i am really confused too!

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The blue devil stuff did not work.

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
224 Posts
didn't work in my car. I did find that the blue devil was trying to plug the leak though. it was pushed all out around the gasket, however mine was leaking from the exhaust, pushing coolant back into the bottle.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The blue devil stuff did not work.
guess what!? it did work but..... I still overheat occasionally, I occasionally lose cabin heat and the fans seem to be on all the time.

I think these are a sign of a water pump but I know it couldn't be, its not THAT old. Could this stuff plug a thermostat?

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
224 Posts
Mine worked for about two days. Thermostat looked clean when I pulled it. Mine didnt overheat just lost heat. Got my heads back, yup they were bad enough the guy said he took a picture when he was milling them. I didn't see the pic as my wife picked them up.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should get those pictures! The only thing that has me worries was the fact that I am losing heat! That's not a normal symptom for anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts