Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 02 Forester L with power (non-heated) side door mirrors. Both of them had electrical tape around the mirror mount area where the housing can be swiveled back. I assumed the plastic was broken but when I took the tape off I found both mirrors missing whatever is supposed to be in there to pull the mirror down onto the mount. It looks like some kind of spring should be there but there is nothing; just a shaft that goes up into the body of the mirror and the mirror will just flop around. I searched for quite a while all over the internet and can't find any information on how to fix this or even a diagram to show what is supposed to be there. I just can't imagine having to replace the entire mirror assembly for this... Any help would be much appreciated... I want to fix this as the electrical tape doesn't look too elegant.

:confused:

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I don't give up that easy... Here are a few pics of the situation. It appears whatever fastener that was welded/swaged (?) to the shaft corroded and/or broke off. I'm going to see what I can come up with...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a hot topic eh? Here's what I came up with.. It happens that a 12mm thread is just right. I little die work, a little stainless steel hardware and better than new. :icon_cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 forester
1 Posts
Great job! I have probably the same problem so i'll try to fix it same way. Just a question - should the mirror be dismantle for this operation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts