Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post... :)

Just got my '14 Forester 2.5i Touring a couple of weeks ago.

I was playing with A/C airflow modes today and noticed that both driver and passenger side air vents are leaking air in all modes in which they are supposed to be shut. For instance, if I set the mode to the windshield and bottom vents airflow, I have the air still leaking out pretty hard out of the adjustable side vents, while the non-adjustable side window vents on top of the dashboard produce very minimal airflow.

In my 2002 Camry I traded in for the Forester, these vents were shut completely in the windshield/side windows airflow mode.

If somebody could try it out and let me know if this is by design or if I have a problem with my vents mechanism, I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5x AT
160 Posts
It's standard, my 2012 does the same, the side vents are live all the time. I'm surprised your former 2002 Camry shut off the side vents, my former 1989 Camry had live side vents all the time.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
It's standard, my 2012 does the same, the side vents are live all the time. I'm surprised your former 2002 Camry shut off the side vents, my former 1989 Camry had live side vents all the time.
It's not standard, my '14 does NOT leak any air from the driver's or passenger's side air vents when set NOT to have air discharged from these vents.

If you have the air flow set for the floor, the air flow should only be coming out of the floor vents ONLY.

Most likely the so called "doors" that direct the air flow to different vents is not functioning properly. These "door" used to be controlled by vacuum, but not sure, but I think today they are electroncally controlled.

I would definetly bring the vehicle in and have it checked. What is happening is not normal.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5x AT
160 Posts
It's not standard, my '14 does NOT leak any air from the driver's or passenger's side air vents when set NOT to have air discharged from these vents.

If you have the air flow set for the floor, the air flow should only be coming out of the floor vents ONLY.

Most likely the so called "doors" that direct the air flow to different vents is not functioning properly. These "door" used to be controlled by vacuum, but not sure, but I think today they are electroncally controlled.

I would definetly bring the vehicle in and have it checked. What is happening is not normal.
According to owner's manual, the side vents are active in all modes unless manually shut off.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, just found it in the manual too.

Not sure I follow the logic of Subaru, but will have to live with it. LOL

Thanks for your replies, guys!

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
conversely, you might find a tiny trickle of air through the windscreen vents when they're off too. On my SH there's *just* enough to stop the screen from misting in normal use, even with the selector on Floor.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
According to owner's manual, the side vents are active in all modes unless manually shut off.
When I have it set for floor vents only, no air at all is coming out of the upper vents on the dash.

When I have it set for the upper vents on the dash, plenty of air is coming out of these vents.

If I have it set to DEFROSTER, no air is coming from upper vents on dash, BUT there is air coming from a side vent to defrost the door windows on both sides. Maybe this is what they are talking about in the manual.

Not sure now, maybe I have something wrong!

EDIT: I think I misunderstood something. The side vents and dash vents are two different things. I am referring to the dash vents in the middle of the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Page 4-9 of the owners manual has diagrams of where the airflow is directed in each mode. The system is operating as designed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts