Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's forester (1997, automatic, AWD) is binding or something when you turn tight corners. The sensation is like driving my 4x4 truck on dry pavement with the hubs locked. I have searched the forum and found that perhaps it is the tarnsfer duty solenoid. Is there a way to check this out before replacing it? Is there something else it could be?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
search "torque bind" You'll find lots of info. Problems can be anything from incorrect tires to trans is bad.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
1 Posts
search "torque bind" You'll find lots of info. Problems can be anything from incorrect tires to trans is bad.
I just bought a Forester and I have this issue. Here is the thing. I have two different sets of tires on the car. The front of the car has a matching set that are a bigger size than the back pair which match each other. Will this cause the issue? Or will this only cause an issue lets say one back tire did not match the other back tire? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,085 Posts
Welcome Alumyna!

Yes, this could cause the issue. Frankly, I would not have purchased the car if I saw the tires were different as the damage may have already been done. The tires need to be the same rolling diameter.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I just bought a Forester and I have this issue. Here is the thing. I have two different sets of tires on the car. The front of the car has a matching set that are a bigger size than the back pair which match each other. Will this cause the issue? Or will this only cause an issue lets say one back tire did not match the other back tire? Any help would be appreciated.
Either get 4 new tires NOW or bring that car back to where ever you bought it. It is a big deal on subbies. I walked from a pretty good deal on a 07 LL Bean because of mismatched tires. And it was at a subby dealer.:crazy:

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Damage could already be done.
If your stuck with it get a set of matching tires ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts