Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a letter from my dealer offering to trade me for a new and equal 2020 Forester Touring if I put down about $5,500. I paid about $32,000. That seems like a lot of depreciation for a one year old Subaru with about 7,000 miles. Maybe if it was $2,500, I'd do it, but that wouldn't leave the dealer with any margin on a resale ! Has anyone else received a simular letter and if so, what did you negotiate?

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
37 Posts
Is lane centering, a "don't forget your kid in the back" warning, and an LED license plate light worth it? Personally, I am happy with my 2019 touring and its features. I think lane centering would make me nuts. I would never forget a kid in the back seat and whoopee an led bulb on the plate. Also, for a 2019 Touring, I think you got a great deal for 32,000.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is lane centering, a "don't forget your kid in the back" warning, and an LED license plate light worth it? Personally, I am happy with my 2019 touring and its features. I think lane centering would make me nuts. I would never forget a kid in the back seat and whoopee an led bulb on the plate. Also, for a 2019 Touring, I think you got a great deal for 32,000.
My early 2019 has the back seat alarm that I found out accidentally and I also have the lane centering that I'm not to excited about. It does not keep the car centered, only bouncing from side to side.. Yes, the dealer definitely bent over backwards on my deal and also included window tint. There are three dealers in my area, two 7 miles apart and several more within 25 or so miles.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
100 Posts
Basically its a direct marketing letter, featuring the type of campaign that requires an extremely low response rate to cover the cost of the mailing and potentially generate a huge profit. Take it for what it is a pitch, and if you are really interested, a starting negotiating position. You don't know the dealer's bonus structure for moving new ones. They may be getting back end money that would make your offer of 2500 quite appealing. Financially though the smartest thing is to hang to yours.

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
37 Posts
We have lane keep assist and lane departure in the 2019. If you start to drift out of the lane. Lane centering will assist in keeping you in the center of the lane.

I think my original post was confusing. I should have said we (2019) have lane keep assist and land departure which is suppose to help if you drift out of your lane. The 2020 lane centering feature assists in keeping you in the center of the lane.
At the time of original post I did not realize that it can only be used with Adaptive Cruise Control.
From the online 2020 Eyesight Manual:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I received the same letter the other day. I assumed it was for the 2014 we traded in and threw it out before looking at it in detail.

Sometimes Subaru marketing is insulting.

We received a similar letter when we were in the market to replace the 2014 Forester 6 months back. That letter included such a high net monthly payment that we didn't even consider a Subaru. We only went to the Subaru dealer as a last thought as we were about to sign the paperwork to buy a Mazda CX-5. The actual net monthly payment was $100.00 less than what they quoted in the junk mail.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have lane keep assist and lane departure in the 2019. If you start to drift out of the lane. Lane centering will assist in keeping you in the center of the lane.

NO ! It only keeps you bouncing back between the lines and does NOT keep you centered.. There is a big difference between the center and side to side...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
510 Posts
I get these types of emails twice a month. They're basically just looking to lock you into paying money for years on end. Just throw them away and don't look back.

I find it laughable they're telling me to trade my XT Touring for the same monthly payment as a regular Touring.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
207 Posts
Ugh, I hate this feature. I turned it off and the accompanying sounds too.
Lane centering is quite different. It will literally steer for you continuously as you are using cruise control, keeping you in the center of the lame at all times. It's quite good actually.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
Lane centering is quite different. It will literally steer for you continuously as you are using cruise control, keeping you in the center of the lame at all times. It's quite good actually.
No, it isn't. Maybe if you don't want to drive your car it is. But for someone that bought a vehicle to drive? It's horrible. All of these assists are annoying. Why even drive anymore. Ride a bus or a train.

·
Registered
2019 Forrester Touring CVT
89 Posts
No, it isn't. Maybe if you don't want to drive your car it is. But for someone that bought a vehicle to drive? It's horrible. All of these assists are annoying. Why even drive anymore. Ride a bus or a train.

I have found that turning on the lane centering, the steering feel is touchy.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts