Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my parents asked me why I don't take their car instead of buying a newer one... I don't know if I should or not so I need YOUR help!

Their car is the one I've been driving;
2003 2.5x Forester with an auto tranny and about 115k miles on it.

I wanted to get an '06-'08 XT Forester with a manual tranny and less miles on it...

Question is, how far could I get with $4k and the '03 Fozzie? I'd want to do a wrx / sti engine swap, add a scoop and rear spoiler, as well as lower it (new struts) and swap out the wheels / tires.

I guess I could overcome it being an auto as long as I could get a turbo engine in it and get it up to speed (not like it really needs it or anything but...)

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Buy their car and drive it the way it is and start saving money for an XT a few years down the road if that what you really want.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figure I can make this one into an XT but I'm wondering if it's worth it as far as cost goes... My parents made it seem like I could literally "have" their Forester so that sounds like a good deal to me. An engine swap would be fun plus it'd be an old "beater" car that I could fix up and make my own.

I really want to know if it's reasonable to take the car and mod the hell out of it or if I'd be happy with a nearly stock '06-'08 XT..

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,954 Posts
It's good not to owe on a vehicle. You can either save your money or put the money into vehicle MODs. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Take your parent's care. Save the money for an XT down the road. Don't mess with the N/A, keep it stock (or close to it) and reliable. That way you can save more towards your XT.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
If you're like most XT owners here, you will want to mod the car... Bigger this, better that... Before you know it, you've spent $4-6k on wheels, suspension, and engine mods. This is a time in your life when you should be saving as much money as possible...think of it as investing in yourself. Also, free > not free. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here's the deal (I think):

a. Take their car and put my car savings into modding it (around $4k)

b. Don't take their car and keep saving, they'll match what I have when I want to buy.

I'm thinking a newer car would be nice but I don't wanna wreck it so maybe this 03 for a few mote years then I'll buy a new xt after college..

·
Super Moderator
35,954 Posts
If you're frugal with your MODding, you won't need to spend a bunch for a nice ride. The '03X that I passed to my son last summer looks great & I think I still like it better than my '07 FSXT. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking I can get away with enough mods to make the car (more) enjoyable to drive. I guess I don't really need to have a race car at this point in my life anyways lol.

Is 115k miles something I should be worried about though? I'll most definitely swap out the suspension and wheels if / as soon as I get it. Probably the exhaust too since there's a problem with the current one..

·
Super Moderator
35,954 Posts
If the vehicle is from your parents, they'll most likely chip in on any major maintenance. BTW, was the timing belt replaced 10K miles ago? :confused:

A nice custom installed Magnaflow axle back exhaust can be had for around $200. There are always used suspension parts & wheels for sale, so a little shopping & you'd be good to go. :cool:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,639 Posts
I'm thinking a newer car would be nice but I don't wanna wreck it so maybe this 03 for a few mote years then I'll buy a new xt after college..
Take your own advice.... free = awesome.
Save your money. Do the minor repairs you need now, or may need in the
near future.

·
Registered
2002 Forester X
4 Posts
The answer lies in whether you need reliable and cost-effective transport, or a show pony.

Your money can be wasted when confusing bling with transport.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
I don't get it. This is a no-brainer. Take the free car and continue saving for what you want. If anything, you can find a STi swap with tranny and drop it in. In the long run, its still cheaper that buying a newer car and have to deal with more insurance.

08 FXT = $20k
03 X + STi engine and tranny swap = $0 + $5k

$20k - $5k = $15k savings! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,261 Posts
When you are older and have a higher level of maturity, common sense, and savvy about money you will be amazed you ever considering not taking your parents car.

If not you will wind up like lits of my neighbors....living paycheck to paycheck wondering why their houses are being foreclosed.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts