Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is the situation:

I have a 1999 Forester that I am selling, it has alloy wheels that are a bit scratched

I have a 2004 Forester that I am keeping, it has steels wheels in pretty good shape

The question::confused:

Is it worth it to refurbish the alloy wheels (at $175/rim here in Vancouver) and transfer them to the 2004?

Opinons would be appreciated:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
For that price you can buy a nice set of aftermarket alloys. Keep your steels for winter and get the nice alloys for summer!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,483 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I agree, unless you have an attachment to the wheels, you can get very nice, brand new aftermarket wheels for the cost of refurbishing the wheels. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
how bad is 'a bit scratched'? and what kind of 'refurbish' are they planning for $175/wheel? if you are planning on spending that I would be looking at Rotas..

I've stripped and polished wheels in the past, and am currently in the middle of prepping/painting a set of wrx takeoffs for my forester, it's really not hard to do, just takes time and elbow grease..

oh, and Welcome! from up the road in Kamloops..:biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Welcome from a Mt. Pleasant neighbour! And yes, I would hold onto the steelies for winters and get some NEW alloys.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
If your getting new rims keep the scratched alloys for winter and get rid of the steel ones, the alloys wont get all rusty.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
If your getting new rims keep the scratched alloys for winter and get rid of the steel ones, the alloys wont get all rusty.
Agreed. Keep the alloys for the winter and get new alloys for the summer instead of paying to clean up the current alloys.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
77 Posts
In the same boat in regards to wheels. Looks like I might buy some aftermarkets as stock Subie wheels are pricey around here.

ETA: Discounttire.com had NO (as in NONE) 16" rims for the Foz. They fail.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone! I didn't realize after market alloys wheels were that inexpensive, I think you just saved me a couple hundred dollars!!

So I think this is my plan: I will transfer old alloys to winter tires, put steel wheels on 1999 to sell and at some point get new alloys for the 2004.

Liane:icon_biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts