Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm running a stock 05 XT and sometimes when the gas price is low, I refuel with 94 octane (1 time out of 10). Should I stop using anything other than 91 since I'm not tuned for it or once in a while can't harm my car?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
If you're tuned for 91 octane, running a higher octane will not harm anything.
However, in this situation running Petro Canada's 94 octane will result in a drop in fuel economy due to the increased ethanol content in the fuel compared to their own 91 octane or Shell's 0% ethanol 91 octane.

I have run 94 octane in a number of my vehicles over the years but have found a drop in fuel economy and bank balance from buying the higher grade fuel over normal 91 octane.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wallet agrees with you! Would you suggest Shell's 0% ethanol 91 over Petro Canada's 91?

·
Registered
2004 X Auto
9 Posts
Hi,

I'm running a stock 05 XT and sometimes when the gas price is low, I refuel with 94 octane (1 time out of 10). Should I stop using anything other than 91 since I'm not tuned for it or once in a while can't harm my car?

Thanks!
I was in Mtl from Victoria last week. when exactly could your gas prices ever be 'low' :icon_rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts