Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Manual
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Forester S with leaking head gaskets. They don't leak badly and there are no hydrocarbons in the coolant. I want to go home (Tahoe) for Christmas, but I don't know if there are any problems with the cold temps and head gaskets that I should be aware of? I have driven the car to and from San Francisco multiple times (660 round trip) and it's been fine aside from a freak overheat which I am convinced was due to a bad radiator cap. So, you guys are the experts, will I be ok? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,022 Posts
How much coolant do you lose and is it internal or external? If its external only you should be fine. Having said that...pre 2004 HG's are guaranteed to fail at some point and vehicles seem to break down at the worst times.

I guess you have to look at what if they fail away from home. Can you afford it?

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
I have driven with a very very slow coolant leak out of my heads on my 2001 for tens of thousands of miles. But I don't condone or encourage that kind of activity. Member adc nailed it about affording a fix while on the road.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Manual
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't mention which fluid is leaking. Is it oil or coolant?
If coolant is leaking it should be addressed sooner than later.
With a minor external oil leak the car can be driven while CLOSELY monitoring the leak.

Leaking coolant and oil. The amount of both is very minimal. I always check the levels and never need to top off between oil changes, but they do leak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1990 isoozooooo... 5MT
116 Posts
interesting question because - with greater contraction in mountain cold of heads/gaskets/block contrasted with normal operating temps - might there be just enuff movement to exacerbate the leak comapred to cars life in so cal?

if your feelin adventurous and view as an experiment to be shared with all afterwards... call ahead and get some estimates and have a shop lined up jus in case

maybe your better going standby on a cheap flight :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts