Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have very limited car expertise (actually, almost none) and I am hoping for some advice from you good people on my 2015 Subaru forester.

It is at the dealership right now having the engine block rebuilt (under warranty) because it has been going through enormous amounts of oil. They just called to tell me the flash wheel has hot spots on it and suggested I replace the clutch while the engine is out. They would charge me about $850 for parts and nothing for labor. If the clutch goes later, labor will cost about $1,000.

I bought the car used from Carmax last November. Up until now I have just had to replace the battery and had a four wheel alignment. The car has 35,500 miles on it. It had 27,000 miles when I bought it. I don't know anything about how the car was treated before I bought it, obviously, but I am a pretty gentle driver. I use it mostly for trips around town, although once a month I take a six hour drive roundtrip to the airport.

I would be grateful for any help or advice you could give me! Do you think I can jolly the clutch along long enough to make up for the $1,000 extra labor cost?

The dealership sent me a picture of the flywheel and I am trying to attach it to this email. . .

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Best,

Karen

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
That's pretty steep for parts.

A complete clutch kit (soup to nuts) from RockAuto is around $200 plus another $75 if you also replace the flywheel (if it were mine I would not).

You might ask if labor is still "free" if you supply your own parts. Betcha not.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
Let me see the disc itself, not the flywheel.

Sounds like they are trying to rob you, because at 35,000 miles it should have 85%+ life left. It is really hard to wear out the non-turbo car clutches that fast.

Dishonest dealer scare tactics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses!

I called the dealership and asked if they would be willing to put in parts that I brought them. They said they would be willing to do it but they wouldn't warranty the parts or the labor.

I also asked for a picture of the disc and they said they will send it tomorrow. When the service rep had called this morning he had said that I needed to make up my mind today, but when I asked for the picture of the disc he said he couldn't send it until tomorrow because the technician working on my car is not in today. So that gives me a little more time. . .

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
I am with the others, I would lean towards "no". I have a car that lasted 120k miles and the clutch is still going strong. Some heat marks like that aren't a good sign, but not the end of the world. If you have good clutch habits, those will disappear over time and you should be good to go for another 37k no problem.

By good clutch habits I mean don't drive with your foot resting on the clutch, don't sit with the clutch in at stop lights, and have quick but smooth gear changes, and don't take off from a stop too slowly.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
944 Posts
Agree that the dealer is overcharging for parts, and that you’d have to see more than the flywheel to determine condition. Also agree that unless the prior owner was totally incompetent: clutch should be fine @35k. That said: flywheel doesn’t look great.

If I had the engine out, and the dealer was willing to replace the clutch using parts I supplied, at no additional labor cost to me: I’d probably do it if clutch was in unknown condition or known to be worn. Saved cost on labor and downtime down the road. I also try to reduce the number of times mechanics go in and out of the engine bay to reduce the potential for collateral damage due to tech errors.

If I knew the clutch to be in good condition: or was not planning on keeping the car, I would not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to those of you who responded to my question with your expertise - I just now called the dealership and told them I will pass on the new clutch. This forum is fabulous. I've started educating myself. . .and to @RyanT, special thanks for mentioning the good clutch habits - I didn't know that I shouldn't sit with the clutch in at stop lights!

·
Registered
09 forester
242 Posts
I would consider installing a new clutch fork if you plan to hold the car a long time, the are not that expensive even from the dealer, about $50. I had one fail after at 150K after doing the clutch on my outback. I think its good preventative maintenance when you pull the engine or do a clutch job.

The fork is basically the lever between the clutch piston and the clutch, so it levers the clutch back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts