Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S turbo
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Finally I'm planning to upgrade the turbo to TD04 and get my S turbo remaped.

The question - is it worth changing the up pipe too? What will I gain if I change it? I think mine is catless (MY2000)...

Beside the turbo, I will replace the OEM fuel pump with new walbro 255. Do I need to change anything else in the fuel system? Any fuel regulators or something similar?

Anything else I should take into consideration before the remap?

Thank you for the answers.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
The up pipes are prone to splitting with age so might be worth changing it whilst your at it just for that reason....

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
00MY is catless up-pipe, mine has done 117K miles with no probs to date......

According to Bob Rawle the 99/00MY cars fuel pressure regulator will not cope with the flow from a 255 leading to increased fuel pressure (and over fueling), he advises not fitting one unless you need to and then with a regulator that will cope.

Simon

·
Registered
2000 Forester S turbo
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simon, that's strange... I just emailed with Bob (he is the one, coming here, to tune our cars), asking him the same questions as here, and he wrote me this:

the fuel pump is a must. There is nothing else you need do to the fuel system, the factory fuel pressure regulator is v good for this level up to 400 bhp

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Strange indeed, his advice on scabbynet was very clear, so either he made a mistake or changed his mind!

Simon

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
Stock fuel pump will cope with a TD04 no problem so long as it's working OK and you're not mapping for E85 or something.

Or so I would have thought.....

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,596 Posts
Catless up pipe is a must!!

It cost me a turbo!

On Mine a 2005 model, the cat was disintegrating & bits were being sucked back into my Turbo.

I didn't know this at the time & got a New Turbo.

2 days later, it went into Limp mode.

I took it back to the Garage that fitted it, they took the Turbo off & there stuck in the impellor blades was a bit of the Cat!!!

They took out the up pipe, refitted an STI uncatted & I've had 110,000 miles of fun in it.

Best of luck.

AM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts