Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after the bad service I received at the stealership last week. I have decided to do my own oil changes.

I think I am going to try the GC oil. I am currently running 5w-30 regular "dino" castrol oil my XT.

I just bought a new oil filter from said stealership and I am going to do my own oil change!!!

The filter I have is blue. What other filters are good?

I am currently running regular castrol the last 30K miles bad for it? I have kept up with the regular intervals. I get it into boost everyday.

Or should I even change it up?

Need some opinions!

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Doing your own oil changes is a good decision.
I purchase my blue oil filters with a crush washer from the dealership. I do this to keep a good relationship with them in case of a warranty issue.
At 35k I switched to castrol syntech from castrol Dino oil. Works great for me at the right price. You can get castrol on sale and save.
If you have questions about doing the oil change just ask.

Do not over tighten the plug or filter

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Try the "search" function for oil changes/filters etc etc etc. There is a ton of reading there.

FUMOTO

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
German Castrol is good, especially for "boosted" subaru's as it is a tad thicker than regular 0w30. I ran it in WRX and now in Forester but I also still use M1. It depend's what's on sale at Autozone when I'm in. Usually they ave one or the other on sale with oil filter (M1 or K&N for about $29).
As for the interval, I never ran synthetic for shorter than 6000 miles on WRX and now on Forester i'm doing about 7500-8000 miles with UOA.
If you're going to do your oil changes, Fumoto Valve may be a good idea. I love mine.

If you do more performance driving or if you will be messing around with boost levels, Redline oil may be a good idea.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
M1 0w-40 is their best oil for HP engines, GC should be good, M1 HM 10w-30 is beefy, and Rotella T5 (10w30 semi-syn) should be a good bang for the buck - but I dont know if you'll be giving away any free HP that you get with the real synthetics. IMO the 5w-30 Syntec would be too thin and wont stay in grade - you are not buying a "real" synthetic (group iv/v blend) in this oil just severely processed conventional oil with a premium add pack. Another brand to consider is Total Quartz 0w-30 and some VW spec oils, Motul BMW LL-01 spec 5w-30 is now called X-MAX and should be great in the turbo apps. Just some options for the adverturesome.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
1,632 Posts
Syntec 5W-40 has a reputation of being so-so. I've seen uoa's on it posted on nasioc and Syntec 10W-40 and the viscosity was lower than the viscosity you typically see on uoa's of GC. Unlike GC, it would use more Viscosity Index Improvers which are the first thing in engine oil to break down.

It's a Group III based oil like the rest of the N. American Syntec line-up. Although, a short time ago someone on bitog posted pics of an engine with removed valve covers from a German car (can't remember which one) and the internals looked pretty good.

-Dennis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts