Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 FXT, 5MT and the bumper to bumper warranty expires in April. What are your thoughts on buying the Gold Plus extended warranty (6 yr/60k), which will give me another 3 years bumper to bumper coverage. The lowest cost I found is $1162.

Thanks !

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
$1162 seems pricey. You can get the 6/60 Gold Plus plan HERE for as low as $875. With money-back guarantee, too, i.e. if you never use the plan benefits during the coverage period, your money is refunded in full.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
pleiad7 said:
$1162 seems pricey. You can get the 6/60 Gold Plus plan HERE for as low as $875. With money-back guarantee, too, i.e. if you never use the plan benefits during the coverage period, your money is refunded in full.
Book marked.

Thank you!!! Man, I love this place!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't get it for my 99L and now at 85,000 miles it has only a few minor issues. Speedometer sticks at about 43mph and now the cruise control is getting difficult to engage otherwise not a problem. We'll have those 2 problems dealt with at the 90,000 service. We also plan on having brakes,clutch and timing belt changed. I also have not bought extended warranty for my 05X and probably won't . I received an offer from SOA for extended warranty for $550.=6years/60,000mi or $820=6years/80,000mi or $1250=6years/100,000mi. The current offer I received has expired, but in the past I've received them for a couple of years after buying the 99L.

·
Registered
124 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Have you used that source? If so, what was your experience? Did you actually get a contract that was unmistakeably genuine Subaru? Did you get some money back (with reasonable promptness) at the end? If "no" to these questions, do you know someone who did?

Anyone reading this have some experience with this company?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Hal said:
pleiad7 said:
Have you used that source? If so, what was your experience? Did you actually get a contract that was unmistakeably genuine Subaru? Did you get some money back (with reasonable promptness) at the end? If "no" to these questions, do you know someone who did?

Anyone reading this have some experience with this company?
www.subaruwrxparts.com is the internet division of Exeter Subaru, a dealership in NH. I've bought quite a few parts from them over the years including my dog guard, and delivery & service have always been top notch. Their Gold Plus extended warranties are the real deal by Subaru.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Just a little side note of my experience with extened warranties. *usually
they won't do you much good, and even if you have one, sometimes you
will still have to haggle the dealership to accept the fact that your warranty should cover this cost..

just my .02

·
Registered
124 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Just a little side note of my experience with extened warranties. *usually they won't do you much good, and even if you have one, sometimes you will still have to haggle the dealership to accept the fact that your warranty should cover this cost...
I'm very much aware of the arguments for/against extended warranties. I just dumped an '01 Volvo S60 on which the extended warranty would've been $2,000. I wish I'd had it--I'd have saved money. I realize my '04 XT is much less likely to be trouble-prone, yet with the turbo it seems somewhat more likely to have potential for problems. My wife's '06 Legacy, unlike the XT, is made in Indiana. Probably it's also a good bet, and so far has had no problems (about 2,600 miles, two months) but it does have a small flaw in a fabric cover over the cargo hold--minor but seems odd. (Does it portend somewhat less stringent standards than those on cars from Japan?)

What strikes me about the arguments against extended warranties is they seem, in most cases, NOT to recognize that such warranties are simply insurance policies. We have other insurance policies we pay without such arguments. One never hears anyone say, state laws notwithstanding, "You're a good driver--why pay for car insurance? Just save the amount of the premium you'd be paying each month, and let that accrue--be self-insured." Or, maybe health insurance is a better example, since it's not mandatory--"You're healthy, take vitamins, and you work out. Save your money! Health insurance is astronomically expensive! Just save that premium and insure yourself!"

So, I'm starting to think I'd like the peace of mind. I've heard that Subaru parts are expensive, like Volvo parts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hal said:
One never hears anyone say, state laws notwithstanding, "You're a good driver--why pay for car insurance? Just save the amount of the premium you'd be paying each month, and let that accrue--be self-insured." Or, maybe health insurance is a better example, since it's not mandatory--"You're healthy, take vitamins, and you work out. Save your money! Health insurance is astronomically expensive! Just save that premium and insure yourself!"
That's because there is so much more at stake, per dollar of premium, than with an extended warranty -- especially with the long list of exclusions! You can replace most Subarus with a new vehicle for under $25K, so you might want to open a savings accout for future car repairs instead of buying the insurance. If you never need to make any withdrawals, you get all of that money back too, plus interest!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Follow-up...

I called Exeter Subaru, in New Hampshire, and they sound like a good company. Their price for $100-deductible, 6 yr/100K Gold coverage on a turbo is $1,677. I just called my dealer (Frank's Irvine Subaru, Irvine, CA--4th or 5th largest in the country) and they quoted $1,495 for the same thing. I'd guess the price difference has something to do with the Exeter money-back-if-not-used feature (which is actually coverage through another insurance company). There's got to be some cost to that. IF I get a warranty, I'll go for the lowest price and keeping the money in the local economy rather than sending it to the east coast (or nearly). Just to be sure, I'll probably also call another dealer; there are a couple others within about a 15-mile radius.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
Are you sure you want the bumper to bumper? I'd be more concerned about the powertrain warranty.

Also, finding a dealer that would honor fixing things when modded is pretty rare.

How many of our XT's stay stock anyways? ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
sleepy said:
Are you sure you want the bumper to bumper? I'd be more concerned about the powertrain warranty.

Also, finding a dealer that would honor fixing things when modded is pretty rare.

How many of our XT's stay stock anyways? ;)
Yeah, I want bumper-to-bumper. No worries. I just got rid of a car on which you never knew what next was going to go wrong, not just the powertrain pieces, and all of it expensive stuff.

End of Story: I found a 6/100K ($100 deductible, Gold, bumper-to-bumper, for turbo) for $1,350.

Well, I'm probably in the minority, but my XT is still stock, except tires. I figure Subaru knew what they were doing; they came up with a pretty good overall compromise. Besides, I'm not doing any significant off-road, and I don't need to take freeway onramps at 80 MPH.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I just bought the 6yer/100K mile policy with Gap insurance and a $50 deductible for $1,100 from my dealer. He wanted around $1,600.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Flyer said:
I just bought the 6yer/100K mile policy with Gap insurance and a $50 deductible for $1,100 from my dealer. He wanted around $1,600.
You da man! Sometimes the lower cost of things in the midwest (where, yes, I have lived 11 years back in the last century) begins to have some appeal. But I just lie down next to the pool for a while until that feeling goes away!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hmm. I just bought my vehicle at Exeter Subaru and declined the extended warranty purchase. I can't remember exactly but I thought the quote for a 6 year/60000 mile warranty was $900 something (and after researching here http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/security.html I guess I was close, about $950 for the turbo models and $50 deductible).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm planning to buy the 6yr/80k warranty but I'm leaning towards the Classic since it appears to cover most of the major components. Is the Gold that much better? Also I found a dealer a Steve Moyer Subaru in PA who sells them at list - 10% so not a bad deal for $738.00. Has anybody purchased from them before and they say you can purchase the warranty from any dealer even in another state so has anybody had any problems doing this?

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Any Canadians with an extended warranty? :confused: We usually have to decide when we first purchase the car (new or used) not before the original warranty expires (an idea which I like!). :)

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I'm glad that we bought the extended warranties with our cars. My wife needed new rear wheel bearings and center diff and my mother-in-law needed a new radiator, radiator assembly, fan assembly and something else. Both repairs were out of basic warranty, but covered by the extended, and both would have cost more than the cost of the warranty.
I didn't get one with the FXT. Have been stockpiling parts and will be installing in 4k miles when I hit 60k.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts