Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a base model Forester 2.5X, the only option being automatic transmission. I've looked at lots of prices and talked to some dealers. I'm considering a low-mileage 2009 versus a new 2010. It seems like I can get the 2010 for right around $20k (offered by a salesman), and the used models list for right around $20k also (haven't negotiated the price)... I don't know how much negotiation room there is on that though.

Question is, if I can get a used 2009 Forester 2.5X Auto with, say, 20k miles, for $18k (+ fees) versus...

a new 2010 Forester 2.5X Auto for $20k (+ fees)...

...which one should I go with? Depreciation? Potential issues? Resale value?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Edit: Just noticed that there is a similar thread on the next page. Great discussion! Sorry for the re-post. Of course if anyone wants to comment on my specifics, please feel free... :)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
If the price difference is only a couple of grand, I'd go new. I prefer to break in the car myself the way I want it broken in. Besides, if you want a manual, you'll get exactly what you want instead of compromising.

(buy an XT lol)

Stan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally agree with zeroth. I'm a sales consultant for Subaru and priced a used 09 Limited we took in on trade and a new Forester XT. With the interest rate at 2.9% over 63 months for new versus 5.9% over 60 months for used with 11,000 miles; I'm farther ahead buying new. Figure in depreciation, one more year of warranty with no miles and plus Subaru gives you 63 months at that rate versus 60.
The new special edition package which is $390 for wheels and racks is also a great value over the base model. Get the best price for new and used and crunch the numbers. Good luck and just my .02.

Bob...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts