Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven an Impreza for six years (2002 bought in 2004) and am thinking about trading it in on a 2010 Forester. I test drove one today and liked it, but then I found this forum and have been reading an awful lot of complaints about mileage after a few thousand miles/kilometers and rattling everywhere, from the doors to the cargo area to the seat belts to the sun roof. I'm now really wondering if buying a Forester is a huge mistake.

So all of you who own Foresters, and particularly those with 2010 versions, would you mind giving me some honest feedback about whether I should buy a Forester? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
If you liked to drive your Impreza, do not buy 2010 Forester - it's big, heavy, sloppy, and the rear end feels weird at speed (underdampened). XT might be an option (base model is way too weak, especially when paired with auto transmission), but you will want to modify this thing shortly after you buy it IF you're into "spirited riving".

If it's just the matter of getting from A to B safely with some leg and luggage room to spare, then any Forester will do just fine (XT only if you anticipate mountain driving).

P.S. I do not own 3rd gen Forester, I've just test-driven a few.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
Although mine is a MY2006 XT (I've owned it since new) I'll give my 2c:

It is by far the best car I've ever owned. By that I mean, I value:

• reliability: no problems after 4 years' hard running
  • versatility: great; I use as daily transport with kids and the dog, for long hauls around the (albeit very small) country, for weekend races and hunting trips offroading
  • "sleeper" style: I like travelling "incognito" afa my car is concerned. I just to run a Lancia Delta integrale and an Audi A8. Especially the Audi drew some negative comments ("rich man's car")

My only problem is to find an accetable replacement :biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,737 Posts
Should you buy a Forester? I like mine a lot. I haven't found any excessive squeeks/rattles with mine. I traded my 2001 Outback to buy it, so as far as gas mileage is concerned, it's on par with my Outback. In the end, it comes down to what you want. You said you test drove one and you liked it, so doesn't that answer your question?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XC D
22 Posts
I have a 2010 and the significant other has a 2009 Impreza.

For most applications i.e. driving to work, long motorway drives, dogs out and generally pottering around I much prefer mine. Of course there is that other part of me that loves going for a blast in the Impreza, all be it a diesel. It is a lot of fun to drive and drives completely different to my forester.

Impressed with the economy of mine though it is an oil burner (diesel). No issues with the build quality either.

If you like it – go for it! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XSE, PZEV
58 Posts
We are happy with our 2010 Forester 2.5X. Smooth, precise handling. Great steering and braking. Fun to drive. No weird rattling. Outstanding visibility for the driver. Top safety ratings, too. We need a reliable AWD vehicle for rural New England roads, and the Forester is perfect for us. We did not buy it expecting it to feel like a luxury vehicle.

There are many crossovers/SUVs to test drive and compare. Hope you find one you enjoy!

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Absolutely not

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
I am very happy with mine and would buy it again. I have 55K miles on it and not a hint of problems.

Having said that were I to buy a new car tomorrow. I would thoroughly look at other vehicles (also).

I would look closely at the CRV

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
God. Says all the people that don't have SH Foresters 'don't buy one'.

You say rattle issues, well my friend had a new impreza and the same white baffle made a noise on his. It took me less than 10 minutes to fix my baffle. This site has tons of information, as you've seen, and you should get an answer on any issues.

I love my 09. Maybe it's because it's my first Subaru in awhile or the fact that I haven't had ANY issues. Love the EXTRA room and the get-up and go isn't too bad (5MT with a magnaflow cat-back). Also, you can get a rear sway bar, par $100, and installing that is a sinch. These few, simple small not time sensitve mods will make this car a little more than you think.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I am still thinking on it. My other two considerations are the CRV and a VW Golf Wagon (although I realize this is a totally different category).

I live in the inner city and drive freeways to work, but my inner city is Montreal, where we tend to get a lot of snow. I also drive through New England a fair bit with a big dog, so I feel like I need a vehicle that can handle that as well.

I am concerned about gas consumption and mileage and my Impreza has not been great on that front, but there is nothing like being able to drive over that pile of snow the plow just pushed against your car when you are late for work. I just love that my little Impreza can do that. I have been through some crazy snow with this car and have never been stuck. I'm not sure a VW can do that. No idea about the CRV.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Should you buy a Forester? You ask this on an owner's forum? Pretty easy to predict the general answer, isn't it?

I have a 2009. It's a good vehicle. No major problem. Little things. Little annoyances, that's all. High maintenance requirements. Surprisingly high. Would I buy another? Not sure. I suppose if I liked it better than the competition. That's why I bought this one.

I had a CRV before this. 7 years. Over 200K. No problems. Major or minor. I'll probably never have a vehicle like that again. Should have bought another, but don't like the styling.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
"there is nothing like being able to drive over that pile of snow the plow just pushed against your car when you are late for work."

I agree and furthermore, if I needed or wanted AWD, I don't believe I would want one of Subaru's direct competitor's versions of it because they look like a poor excuse for AWD to me.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
"there is nothing like being able to drive over that pile of snow the plow just pushed against your car when you are late for work."

I agree.
I agree if you bought a Forester specifically to outperform other "Equivalent" vehicles it was a good move. But then again if you wanted to push more snow certainly there are more vehicles more capable then the forester.

Its a matter of ordering your priorities. Like I said, I bought the Forester b c it seemed that all other things being equal, the Drive system of the Subaru seemed to be superior.

For my next vehicle that probably will not be my prime mission. Should I decide to go say for a CRV I could probably get "near" the performance of the Forester by purchasing a better snow tire than my present all weather ones.

Its interesting, that when I was checking out the new Foresters the other day, I mentioned to a salesman that I was just checking to see which way the wind was blowing in case I need to replace the Forester. When I was mentioning the CRV he got very indignant..like comparing the Forester to the CRV was sacrilegious. He became almost beligerant. :D ...whatever. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5 Prem CVT
31 Posts
I just turned in a 2007 CR-V and leased a 2010 Forester. CR-v was very spacious inside. For a big dog, the CR-V has more room/height in the cargo space. Good in the snow. CR-V has a choppy ride compared to the Forester. Performance about the same. Forester is more comfortable. Tires are a problem on the CR-V, wearing very quickly. Needed to be replaced at 22,000 miles and I am a low key driver. Also had my share of rattles, creaks and noises in the CR-V. Very disappointed in Honda "quality". Had my Forester for only 4 days now and am very happy. Yes, I have some noises, but I have not had a chance to find them yet. As of now, I would not go back to the CR-V.

CR-V forum is hondasuv.com where you can read about all the problems the CR-V has.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
TAAF, welcome to the forum! How's the weather back east today? :biggrin:

Mine is an 09, now with 54,000 kms on it. I have no buyer remorse at all, I am very happy. Yes it has a few odd rattles but nothing outrageous at this point. I should note that I use mine for my forestry consulting work here in BC so it sees a fair bit more rough roads than your average CUV. Maybe all the rattles have been shaken out :icon_wink:

You will find as you go through this site that there is a "faction" if you like of owners of the previous versions who do not like the current version (called SH), so take their comments with that in mind :N_poke: I find it rather funny that several of the "don't buy" posts are from owners of the earlier versions.

As for mine, I have had no issues, no warranty work to date, and am averaging about 9.3 l/100kms with some rather aggressive AT tires. I know it would be much better with "normal" street tires tho. Little things that bug me:

Passenger seat too low (very common complaint but as I am the driver, no real worries for me :biggrin:);

Cup holders are weird, have to use a tumbler style cup with no handle;

That's about it right now. Not real issues at all. I am even OK with the 4 speed AT.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your buying. Let us know what you end up getting and why.

One thing I should mention is that many more people will post negative thoughts/comments/experiences than those with positive ones, so that sort of reflects on what you are seeing here and on other forums.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
If you liked to drive your Impreza, do not buy 2010 Forester - it's big, heavy, sloppy, and the rear end feels weird at speed (underdampened). XT might be an option (base model is way too weak, especially when paired with auto transmission),
I have to disagree everything in the above statement. Have 20,000 on my '09 2.5X and it handles better than any other crossover SUV I've driven (CR-V, RAV-4, Element, Tuscon, Escape). Certainly not "sloppy". Is it a WRX? heck no. If you want a performance car-buy a CAR. For a small SUV the Foz in quite capable. You won't win drag races with the base NA engine-but it has more than enough power with the 5 speed stick to be a great highway and mountain vehicle. I will admit -i wasn't thrilled with the base automatic version I test drove- glad I got the 5 speed. Average around 25MPG.

Only issues are a few rattles-most of which I silenced with double sided 3M tape.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau137
If you liked to drive your Impreza, do not buy 2010 Forester - it's big, heavy, sloppy, and the rear end feels weird at speed (underdampened). XT might be an option (base model is way too weak, especially when paired with auto transmission),

I have to disagree everything in the above statement. Have 20,000 on my '09 2.5X and it handles better than any other crossover SUV I've driven (CR-V, RAV-4, Element, Tuscon, Escape). Certainly not "sloppy". Is it a WRX? heck no. If you want a performance car-buy a CAR. For a small SUV the Foz in quite capable. You won't win drag races with the base NA engine-but it has more than enough power with the 5 speed stick to be a great highway and mountain vehicle. I will admit -i wasn't thrilled with the base automatic version I test drove- glad I got the 5 speed. Average around 25MPG.

Only issues are a few rattles-most of which I silenced with double sided 3M tape.
I agree (except the AT part :icon_biggrin: ). It handles extremely well for what it is and is quite tossable. But as noted, if you want something that handles like a car (and gets car like fuel economy), then get a car.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I drove my previous Forester for over 9 years before it was totaled, and I replaced it wit a '09 Subaru Forester. However, I didn't blindly go in and buy a Forester, I looked at A LOT of vehicles and pretty much everything in its class, and it came down to the Forester and the CR-V for me. I ultimately went with the Forester though.

Haven't had any problems, not even rattles or anything. Though if I had to do it again, I'd still go with the Forester but probably get the XT. Not b/c the non-turbo Forester doesn't have enough power, around here traffic doesn't let you accelerate that fast, but I'd just like to know it's there.

Great vehicle, that's very practical, and fits my needs perfectly. Your needs might be different, so go test drive one and see if it works for you

1 - 20 of 37 Posts