Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru's fatal flaw - yes - I know Scotty, I'm living it, no more CVTs for me either . . .

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
166 Posts
I enjoy Scotty's videos too, but as one of the professional Subaru Technicians says in the comments below the original video, he misses the mark here. In prior threads in this forum we addressed how CVT GEN-2 up into 2016 had known flaws, one in a torque converter bushing, one was lack of a filter in the CVT valve body. These issues were not only corrected in 2017-2019, but Subaru gave the 100000 mile warranty extension as well for CVT's before 2017. Subaru is backing up for and fixing their mistakes.
I am an expert Jeep Cherokee 5 speed stick driver for twenty years, but my Subaru CVT is smooth, highly responsive when passing or climbing hills, and since I got a programming update enhances traction to the rear wheels in bad weather. On my 2017, it is the best transmission I have ever had.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John L.,

You're lucky, my 2014 is a dangerous vehicle now. The unresponsiveness of my CVT is down right scary. Had the CVT fluid changed and had the re-learning done for $300 and didn't help anything. I'm in agreement with Scotty on this one for sure, should've gotten a manual.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
946 Posts
...CVT GEN-2 up into 2016 had known flaws, one in a torque converter bushing, one was lack of a filter in the CVT valve body. These issues were not only corrected in 2017-2019, but Subaru gave the 100000 mile warranty extension as well for CVT's before 2017.
Pretty sure that was just 2014 and 2015. 2016+ did not get the warranty extension. If I recall, the improvements were made 2016+

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
547 Posts
John L.,

You're lucky, my 2014 is a dangerous vehicle now. The unresponsiveness of my CVT is down right scary. Had the CVT fluid changed and had the re-learning done for $300 and didn't help anything. I'm in agreement with Scotty on this one for sure, should've gotten a manual.
You'd just be swapping CVT issues with oil consumption :biggrin:

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
166 Posts
Sneefy, I think you are right.
JK, I sympathize with your grief. Any chance you can invoke the extended warranty from Subaru? Also Subaru corporate helped some of our people even if warranty was expired.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
946 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping my 2016 isn't the single year without both (either) the CVT improvements OR the extended warranty. That would be a pretty lousy thing for Subaru to do.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
83 Posts
I enjoy Scotty's videos too, but as one of the professional Subaru Technicians says in the comments below the original video, he misses the mark here. In prior threads in this forum we addressed how CVT GEN-2 up into 2016 had known flaws, one in a torque converter bushing, one was lack of a filter in the CVT valve body. These issues were not only corrected in 2017-2019, but Subaru gave the 100000 mile warranty extension as well for CVT's before 2017. Subaru is backing up for and fixing their mistakes.
I am an expert Jeep Cherokee 5 speed stick driver for twenty years, but my Subaru CVT is smooth, highly responsive when passing or climbing hills, and since I got a programming update enhances traction to the rear wheels in bad weather. On my 2017, it is the best transmission I have ever had.
Hi John,

Not sure if the same topic but FL version of forester xt/sjg in Singapore was from about Apr/May 2016 and sometime after this, there was added cvt cooler/radiator added i.e. early FL version did not have this addition.

Finger-crossed on my Oct 2017 produced xt/sjg.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
757 Posts
I have a recently purchased 2015 2.5i Limited with 66k miles. I have not noticed any issues with the cvt. So far very smooth. Do cvt issues crop up at any mileage point or is it something that can occur in the future? I’m waiting for a print out for extended coverage of the cvt from SOA. Has anyone warrantied their Forester for cvt issues with success? What is the current status on this problem? Is it all 2015 Foresters 2.5L cvt s?

·
Registered
2016 Forester
115 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping my 2016 isn't the single year without both (either) the CVT improvements OR the extended warranty. That would be a pretty lousy thing for Subaru to do.
Subaru of America has just issued TSB 16-115-18, dated 09/06/18, extending the CVT warranty coverage for the 2016-2017 model years to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and until September 30, 2019 for vehicles exceeding those limits prior to that date.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
59 Posts
were the cvt issues fixed on a 2018 2.5. My parents are in the market. We are newbie. Sorry in advance if this has been addressed.
My 2018 Forester has performed flawlessly and the CVT works much better than ANY automatic transmission I have ever driven. It's a really great car period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like the later models have not had the problem. I am buying my first Subaru and want to make sure I get the extended powertrain warranty now issued on the 2017 2.0 turbo. How do I make sure I can get it ? Do I have to call Subaru or how does that work when you are buying used?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts