Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an STS for my 08 FXT
What do you recommend ans where can I buy it from?
Also is there any adjustable shifter option?
Thx

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump anyone has any recommendations?
do i need to buy any bushings seperately?
I was hoping for an STS that would let me control the throw and possibly the height of the shifter

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,017 Posts
Your best bet for something simple and basic is the Kartboy short shifter.
Personally I'm running the 05 LGT KB shifter with the front shifter bushings, since the rears don't quite fit properly on the 06-08 Foresters.

You should be able to buy the shifter and bushings in combination from Tom himself... www.kartboy.com but it isn't an adjustable unit like you seem to be looking for.

There is at least one adjustable shifter on the market that I'm aware of. COBB made one that should fit the Forester, and it was a double adjustable unit. There may be some cheaper "knock-off" versions out there now as COBB have discontinued them.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,513 Posts
I have a Cobb and it's a great one, but I'd definitely give Tom (Kartboy) a go at it. He makes good, quality gear at really reasonable prices. Plus, he just had a kid, so help feed the little one! ;)

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
I had a Kartboy sts on my 97 Legacy GT and loved it. I just ordered this from Oakos.

Should be here tomorrow, if you aren't in a hurry to buy, I'll get mine installed and let ya know how it feels.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Kartboy and most other aftermarket short shifters are "direct link" without rubber damping material in the shaft like stock. The (more expensive) Subaru short shifter still has rubber damping. I'm not sure what the difference in throws is between the two.

I have a very light 46g shift knob with Kartboy Forester shifter and hard front bushings and noise and vibration is more noticeable than stock. I did have to use a large fender washer in addition to the subaru one to take up extra space with the Kartboy front bushings (got it from Lowe's I think it was 5/16 ID and about 2 or 2 1/2 OD, came close to matching the KB bushings). The kartboy rear bushing just did not fit well on my 2004 either and it pushes up on the boot and mechanism, which I did not like the looks of, so I took it off and am happy with the stock rear bushing. The front bushing definitely makes the shifts "crisper". With the Kartboy Forester shifter the height drops about 2" with stock bushing, which I like even with the extended height armrest. The other KB shifter that will work is even shorter (don't remember if originally for Impreza, Legacy etc.).

If you drop it more than an inch or so you will likely want to get a shorter interior shift boot also. I plan on getting one from redline, which others here have had good luck with. I always thought the stock boots looked really cheap anyways since they had no leather-look pattern embossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts