Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I had a short shifter (OEM) in my 02 WRX, with Kartboy bushings, and I loved it. Shifts were nice and quick. I remember trying to drive my girlfriends VW Cabrio and I almost hurt myself shifting into 5th it was so far away. I am in the process of installing his shifter in my 06XT, but have to dremal the base plate so I can't comment right now about it, but so long as it does what it is advertised to do, I think you'll like it. And the bushings should make a difference too. Why not do the bushings at the same time though, if you don't mind me asking? I think that's where the biggest difference is. The OEM bushings are poop.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I had an aftermarket SS and bushings in my 02 WRX as well. Definitely firmer feeling and a much shorter and more direct throw. I had lots of problems with grinding on down-shifts though, and had to constantly double-clutch on all 2-1 downshifts. After re-installing the factory shifter and bushings after totally de-modding my car and selling all of my other parts I realized that my downshifts were suddenly grind-free.

If I were to go with an SS on the Fxt it would be the factory Sti SS which replaces the entire assembly, combined with the Kartboy bushings. Not the popular choice perhaps, but this would be my choice.

Jeff

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Finished my install lat night of just the SS and wow, what a difference. uper short and firm. A little rubbery but I'm sure that just the OEM bushings talking. Love it. Thanks Tom. Dremaling the plate wasn't all that bad. Bushings go in tomorrow.

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
549 Posts
toddlamp said:
Finished my install lat night of just the SS and wow, what a difference. uper short and firm. A little rubbery but I'm sure that just the OEM bushings talking. Love it. Thanks Tom. Dremaling the plate wasn't all that bad. Bushings go in tomorrow.

Cool
glad you got it all installed
just wait till you get the bushings on!

Tom

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
549 Posts
pon1 said:
OK, you got me, I'll do the front bushings.

Tom, can you ship a set to Canada?

JP

04 XT MT

HI
sorry we do not ship out of the USA anymore. however you can use one of oru many distributors. Turn in concepts, rallysport direct, mach V you name it. they'll ship it :)

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Cool
glad you got it all installed
just wait till you get the bushings on!

Tom
The shifting seems tighter. Is that because of the OEM bushings, and that I have to "break through" their rubber resitence in order to engage? Feels that way to me. Either that or when I am shifting into 5th there is that large rubber piece (sealent?) that the rod is hitting, I wonder if that is causeing the resistence.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
toddlamp said:
The shifting seems tighter. Is that because of the OEM bushings, and that I have to "break through" their rubber resitence in order to engage? Feels that way to me. Either that or when I am shifting into 5th there is that large rubber piece (sealent?) that the rod is hitting, I wonder if that is causeing the resistence.
I think the resistance is due to the the bolt being over-tightened. Try backing off the bolt/locknut until you get the right "feel."

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
549 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
I think the resistance is due to the the bolt being over-tightened. Try backing off the bolt/locknut until you get the right "feel."

good call
it should be about 8-11 pounds. not much.
also make sure that you didnt put the washer on the shifter bushings on backwards. it will make things pretty rough feeling

Tom

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
toddlamp said:
How would I have put them in backwards? Seems to me only one way to go in.
He means this one I think.

Attachments

G

·
is anybody have install a kartboy shifter in a 98 forester model ... I i'm a bit concern of having a shorter shifter (height)...

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
bilway69 said:
is anybody have install a kartboy shifter in a 98 forester model ... I i'm a bit concern of having a shorter shifter (height)...
The height shouldn't be any different unless you get a smaller knob. What changed is the position of interesction of shifter and that big bar that changes gears (not sure what it's called). By raising that point the travel distance is shorter.

G

·
And is the position really different or incomfortable to drive because i was talking with a guy who work for lachute subaru performance and in the website they got a short shift kit for forester and he told me that it won't fit good in the car???

www.lachutesubaru.com

21 - 35 of 35 Posts