Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to improve the shifting of my '04 XT. From what I see I have 2 options - the STI short-shift kit or the aftermarket shifters (like Kartboy or Cobb offers). I seem to remember this was beaten to death over on the original forums, but as that isn't an option, I need it re-beaten! :)

I have felt the STI part installed in a Baja and liked it. Where would you guys go to get a Subaru part like that at a reasonable price? Is Jamie around still?? ....dang I miss that database!

Thoughts?

I've got the Redline Synthetic in hand so I'll be swapping that in soon...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I recommend the Perrin adjustable short shifter if you like the feel of the stock shifter, as it is filled with rubber inside.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
A second for Kartboy they got the CHIT!!!

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I'll put in a good word for the Kartboy. It is a bit shorter than stock though. It sometimes feels like the armrest extension is in the way on the 1-2 shift. Nothing unmanageable though.

The bushings in my opinion didn't make much of a difference but the stocker looked pretty much like new when it came out.

Cobb and Subydude make adjustable throw and height shifters now. Don't have any experience with them. Factory one is overpriced from what I can tell.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Gotta' add another vote for Kartboy. 8) I've been super happy with mine, and I have to say get the bushings too.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,076 Posts
Just installed the Cobb Short Shifter (and bushings) earlier this week. Huge improvement over stock. Shifts are short and crisp.

The only reason I chose the Cobb over the Kartboy was that the Cobb is adjustable for height as well as throw.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Kartboy is the way to go.
To really enjoy shifting the bushings are a must have. I didn't use his I made my own but if his urethane bushings are anything like my delrin bushings then it is definately a must do mod.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I had my Kartboy S.S. in for thousands of miles and basically noticed no difference when I finally got around to the bushings. Maybe it's just me. I think I feel a bit more notchiness but it's not a big difference either way. For only 30$ it might give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
285 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
I'll put in a good word for the Kartboy. It is a bit shorter than stock though. It sometimes feels like the armrest extension is in the way on the 1-2 shift. Nothing unmanageable though.

The bushings in my opinion didn't make much of a difference but the stocker looked pretty much like new when it came out.

Cobb and Subydude make adjustable throw and height shifters now. Don't have any experience with them. Factory one is overpriced from what I can tell.
Get the Forester specific SS if length is a problem for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback guys! It's cheaper, easier to install, and gets all the forum love...I guess Kartboy is the way to go!

As I have long arms the small height change shouldn't be an issue, and for a few dollars more it seems like I should get the bushings as well...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I got A twm short shifter for X-mas I like it

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
550 Posts
FastTurtle said:
Thanks for the feedback guys! It's cheaper, easier to install, and gets all the forum love...I guess Kartboy is the way to go!

As I have long arms the small height change shouldn't be an issue, and for a few dollars more it seems like I should get the bushings as well...

Thanks again...
at least the front bushings.
with the FXT shifter front and rear bushings the shifter height is not really reduced from stock. i'd guess its hovering right about an inch.

tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a line on a value priced Kartboy SS for the XT. I dont want to do the bushings (yet), and they are not in stock with the vendor. Is it a worthwhile mod as a standalone? I'm looking for shorter throws and quicker shifts, esp. 1-2 and 2-3, when taking off from lights, etc. I guess also I need to mod something, only done tint, rockblocker, alarm and tires (Nokian WR) so far.....

JP

04 XT

1 - 20 of 35 Posts