Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FSXT 5-speed 5MT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have 2 years/10,000 miles left on bumper-to-bumper and 4 years/24,000 left on powertrain. Will installing a short shifter (or any other aftermarket parts for that matter) void my warranty? I'm assuming that engine upgrades such as turbo, TMIC, etc. would void, but what about minor tweaks? Thanks!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I wouldn't think a short shifter should be an issue.
SPT has short shifters for the impreza's for that matter.

dm

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Laws protecting the consumer state the warranty will only be voided if the part was a direct cause of the failure of whatever you're trying to claim under warranty. So a short shifter is fine.

On that note, SPT stuff is nice, and is warranted too. So check out the SPT shifter

·
Registered
2008 FSXT 5-speed 5MT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! Already ordered the Kartboy WRX part with bushings, going for the short throw/short knob combo. Looked at the SPT part but damn, it's $$$!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
You'll be very happy with the kartboy product!! I have the kartboy short shifter, bushing kits and knuckleball on my 02 wrx.

dm

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
For what it's worth, I inquired at the dealership about having THEM install the STi short throw shifter before I took possession and they said that if any driveline issues resulted as a result of the shifter, the warranty on that repair would be null and void. I asked "even if YOU GUYS install it?" and the response was "yes, even if we install it" which was radically different than Mazda's approach of "if we install it, it's covered" when I was looking at 3Sports.

I find the stock shifter sloppy and was looking to improve the feel.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
For what it's worth, I inquired at the dealership about having THEM install the STi short throw shifter before I took possession and they said that if any driveline issues resulted as a result of the shifter, the warranty on that repair would be null and void. I asked "even if YOU GUYS install it?" and the response was "yes, even if we install it" which was radically different than Mazda's approach of "if we install it, it's covered" when I was looking at 3Sports.

I find the stock shifter sloppy and was looking to improve the feel.
They were lying to you. The SPT part is covered under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts