Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Chevy
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 1985 Chevy Cavalier wagon.. Yeah, I know, super classic lol! I inherited it from my dad, and it doesn't even have 100K on it. I don't drive many miles per year, but I need to get something else because the Cavalier's A/C doesn't work and putting in the $$ to fix it doesn't make sense. Anyway, I really love the body and "look" of the Cavalier wagon. It also has good sized cargo area. Last year, I did some test drives of a few cross over cars and hated all of them. The windows were too small. I felt they had poor visibility and most didn't seem to have as much cargo space as my Cavalier wagon! The salesman would say, "oh, you can put the rear seat down and get more room!", but I don't want to have to do that! In my Cavalier, I have plenty of room without having to do that. . !I really want a wagon with more visibility, and that's how I stumbled on the Forester. It has a similar look of my old school Cavalier wagon. I have never test driven a Forester, but it's definitely at the top of my list.

I do not want to buy new because it doesn't seem like a good financial choice to me. I also don't drive a lot of miles per year (usually only about 2K or less, mainly in town, running errands, basic transportation). I don't do "off road" driving or treat my vehicles harshly. I am very easy on cars.

Other than that, I don't really know a lot about the older Foresters. By "older" I mean something pre-2010. Are there older models that I should stay away from? I also don't want something that's got a lot of mileage on it. I have looked on various sites and most Foresters pre-2010 have more miles than my Cavalier does! So, I'm not sure how to approach this. But I am very very interested in a Forester, so I wanted to find out if there's any "red flags" I should avoid, in terms of specific years or models. I haven't been car shopping in a long time, so am somewhat apprehensive about it! All I know is: I HATED the cars I test drove. Mainly due to poor window placement and poor rear cargo size. I am not picky about the look of interiors - I'm more about safety and visibility! Also, I live in the Southwest, and most of the cars I tested had dark dark window tinting which I HATE. Yes, tinting keeps the interior cooler, etc. but I felt like I couldn't see properly. It was like riding in a coffin! Not for me! Frankly, I'm one of these people who hates electric windows too! My old Cavalier has manual windows which is fine with me! One less thing to repair!

Anyway, if any of you Forester owners can maybe point me in a certain direction or toward a certain model, I would be very grateful and appreciative of your advice. Thanks so much for your input!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts