Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester 2.5xt
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an sg forester.
Would people recommend a 2.5 or a 2.0 xt?
I'm not looking for a mega power build just want something fun and nippy.. And around 280/300 bhp?

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,330 Posts
Depending on budget, I wouldn't discount a Cross Sports if you can find one with the gearbox of your choice.

In my opinion, the 2.0 XT and 2.5 XT drive pretty differently and you're best off driving one of each to get an idea how they feel day to day.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
636 Posts
I've test driven a 2.0 and I have a 2.5, I definitely like that extra... but then test driving and living with are 2 different things.

What car are you moving on from?

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,513 Posts
I've had two 2.0 s turbos (my99/my01) and enjoyed them both ; strong engines but only found one thing that it needed and that was another gear.
I now have a 2.5 albeit an FSTi and couldn't be happier with the extra grunt of the 2.5 and of course the extra gear.

I'm assuming the 2.5 XT will have a different gear ratio so may make up for not having a 6th gear? (unless you go for a my14 SJ and also a petrol as I think there's a 6 speed diesel SH) but definitely more enjoyable in my opinion than the 2.0. Saying that what year XT will you be going for? I've heard the my07+ 2.5 has the 'chocolate' pistons. Maybe something to think about if you intend on upgrading the power.

I see you have a my99 s turbo and making the jump to a gen2 Foz will not disappoint you whether it's a 2.0 or a 2.5. More comfort and less rust to deal with. :cool:

Good luck and good to see you're staying with Subaru.
Andy.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
636 Posts
@highland forry ah, didn't read under his name. Can confirm the facelift 2.5 XT could indeed do with a 6th gear for motorway cruising! It's been a while since I've driven it, so I can't remember the RPM, but at ahem 70mph, it sits over 3 or 4k RPM, an I feel with a 6th gear it would sit just under and make it a much nicer cruise.

I've got a facelift, but 55 plate, hopefully I didn't get a nice early helping of those chocolate pistons you speak of.

@cblocko23 bear in mind the road tax jump for the facelifts.. I think 55 was the last of the lower band, 06 is trousers down tax band.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,330 Posts
March 23rd 2006 was when tax goes up......... There's a few but very little Facelifts MY06's (1st March onwards from memory) that are on the cheap tax The 05 (Usually pre-facelift) and 55 plates (sometimes pre-facelift, sometimes facelift models) are on the "cheaper" tax band of £330 vs £565 ish

The XT's 5 speed final drive isn't a million miles off of the FSTI as I remember this being discussed when North Downs Scooby used to achieve rediculous MPG in his FSTI. The 6 speed does help a bit though. From memory The MY07 Impreza STI Hawkeye had the best final gearing of all - Was a while back when reading that though and the memory isn't what it was.........

Foresters are great as they can use Impreza parts usually and there's always one of those being broken when the previous driver ran out of talent. There's a ton of aftermarket support for Imprezas (By default Foresters too) so you're not usually stuck using a Subaru dealer for parts.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,513 Posts
@TMX I'm pretty certain the tax is going up again this year throughout all fuel vehicles with some exceptions like eco diesels that pump out more emissions than most petrol's (figure that one out) . :cry:
I remember paying £245 then rose to £255 on my99, then on the my01 it was £305 and rose to £315. Both UK models.

I taxed the FSTi last year and was £255 being JDM so I wonder what it'll be this year. Prolly summink stupid knowing my luck.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,330 Posts
I get my tax reminder a couple days before each budget, so the rate is always wrong. I paid £330 I think it was in April just gone :(

I remember paying 275 on mine at one stage :'(

Do imports come under the Pre-2001 rules as there is no official gov emission testing on them ?

Proper eco diesels that use the AdBlue system and don't have cheat-devices fitted are pretty healthy emissions wise. It's the non adblue ones with just DPFs that are poor and ofcourse usually cut out as expensive to fix, so they stink too.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
636 Posts
Yup tax went up this year. It said one thing, but before budget was announced, but I think it only went up £5? Thought the reminder said £325, but as others said paid £330... which is a lot, but definitely no £550+

So...what you're all saying is I should sell the XT and buy an FSTI because I'll save money on tax.. 🤔

How to convince the wife 🤔 it is her birthday in a few days!! 😂

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,513 Posts
Do imports come under the Pre-2001 rules as there is no official gov emission testing on them ?
I think you are correct bud.

Proper eco diesels that use the AdBlue system and don't have cheat-devices fitted are pretty healthy emissions wise. It's the non adblue ones with just DPFs that are poor and ofcourse usually cut out as expensive to fix, so they stink too.
All diesels stink. I can't stand the smell of them it makes me feel physically sick. :sick:Especially when I'm driving behind them.

So...what you're all saying is I should sell the XT and buy an FSTI because I'll save money on tax.. 🤔

You've answered your own question Ian. She'll be chuffed with her new FSTi 😍

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,330 Posts

Cheaper tax
And sixth gear, so more economical too !
Quicker too and since time = money and you are spending less time travelling ergo you are saving money there too !

Basically an FSTI is the sensible money saving option out there and no expensive batteries either, so cheaper maintanence costs compared to a Prius or Hybrid over it's lifetime. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2005 forester 2.5xt
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guy I'm looking at a 2.5xt 05 plate not a Facelift... I'm actually replacing a saab 9-3 turbo with the forester.. I havent had my s turbo for almost 6 years lol

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,330 Posts
@Ianb1234 I believe there was a 2.3 Turbo too I think it was in the newer 9-3 or 9-5 generations?

The oldddd Saab Turbos (900 series?) had bombproof bottom ends (Or was it gearboxes?) from memory and could handle silly amounts of power without needing strengthened internals and went like rocketships as they didn't weigh much.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
636 Posts
Lol, a neighbour was pretty into his Saab, he was taking the engine out, replacing it etc...eventually got it running, he waved to me as he took it out for its maiden voyage, it was only after he'd gone past me I looked on the ground and noticed a trail of fluid... (oil iirc)...

Saw him the next day, no car in driveway... "how did it go?"

"Engine blew up" he said grimly... 😑

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,513 Posts
I love the old Saab 900 turbo. I've had a few mates over the years with them and my old boss had one. I just love the shape with it's front bumper ( bottom lip ) sticking out as if it was in the huff and the ignition down in front of the gear stick afair.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
636 Posts
@cblocko23 ooo, looks nice. I suppose any upgrades you do to the 2.0 will push it past the 2.5 stock, but idk.. I love my 2.5... but then I went from a 1.6 diesel, so anything has more oomph than that 🤣

1 - 20 of 46 Posts