Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an '07 or '08 manual trans. X or XT in silver for a couple of weeks and they're very difficult to find.

I found what I thought was the perfect car - about an hour and a half away - and after making my appointment I showed up and the salesperson didn't exist and they had literally just sold the car. :icon_frown:

I found another that was perfect in black (premium package!!!) but I just can't get another black car.

I need someone to hold me and tell me it's all going to be ok... Sigh...

:tissue:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Read a couple of your previous posts about your test drives in the NA Outback and Forester's and you were pleased with the performance. I can appreciate the additional power and performance mods that can be done to the Turbo equipped cars, but you can get some very satisfying mods to improve the handling of the NA that will also have to be done with the Turbo. For me it would be about improving the handling of the car over horsepower but that's just my personal opinion.

Looks like you will need to travel some distance to find an XT. As far as X's go they appear plenty. But have you considered the Sports model. It has all the right stuff at a price point between the X and XT.

It's got all the goodies that most people might change out, Sports grill, blacked out tail lights, sports front end, two tone interior. If I was in the States the only thing I would want to do (and can), is add heated seats.

Also the Subaru dealers check list is probably much more extensive than most and it comes with a guarantee http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/cpo/Subaru_Certification_Checklist.pdf, the only thing you might want to do is change the transmission and rear differential fluids.

So I thought you should take a first or second look at cars like these and for further reference this is a great site to check out Subaru specs Cars 101
I think you still have room for negotiating the price on these cars as well.

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 X

Keep us posted with updates on your search

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Looking at the red one a good detail could have gotten them more than what they are asking, so there must be an acceptable lower offer. negotiate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read a couple of your previous posts about your test drives in the NA Outback and Forester's and you were pleased with the performance. I can appreciate the additional power and performance mods that can be done to the Turbo equipped cars, but you can get some very satisfying mods to improve the handling of the NA that will also have to be done with the Turbo. For me it would be about improving the handling of the car over horsepower but that's just my personal opinion.

Looks like you will need to travel some distance to find an XT. As far as X's go they appear plenty. But have you considered the Sports model. It has all the right stuff at a price point between the X and XT.

It's got all the goodies that most people might change out, Sports grill, blacked out tail lights, sports front end, two tone interior. If I was in the States the only thing I would want to do (and can), is add heated seats.

Also the Subaru dealers check list is probably much more extensive than most and it comes with a guarantee , the only thing you might want to do is change the transmission and rear differential fluids.

So I thought you should take a first or second look at cars like these and for further reference this is a great site to check out Subaru specs

I think you still have room for negotiating the price on these cars as well.

Keep us posted with updates on your search
Thanks for your help. I've considered the Sport. It seems to be the step up from the X but without the sunroof and heated mirrors, etc... I'd really like the heated mirrors (with the premium package) for the winters in PA. Still considering it though...

I've been living on Autotrader for the past couple of weeks and I've seen the cars you listed. I've driven up to an hour and a half but four hours to CT is just a bit to much for me. I'm in Eastern Pa.

I'll do a search about the mods but would appreciate links to mods for speed and handling if you have them. (Just saves me time in searching - I never seem to use the right words for the search...) If I can increase the speed and handling with an X or Sports, I would feel more comfortable in not getting an XT.

Also, someone needs to buy this car immediately. It's a good price (with a little neg...), in excellent condition (I drove it), and I'd get it but it's black. I've had it with black cars...

Oops, I guess I can't post the link because of my post count. It's an X Premium in Sellersville, Pa.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/how-turn-better-than-sti-cheap-10696/
and if you get the turbo http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-go-faster-than-sti-cheap-8337/

So really you would be looking at the X Premium to get the moon roof and heated mirrors (or an XT), since they were not available on either the X or X Sports. Plus the X Premium has heated seats included.

Also since you found the horsepower adequate in the new Forester an Outback you tested, you'll be happy to know it was the same 170 horsepower engine as the 07-08's have.

Just for fun, increase your search parameters and if you find something that fits your criteria, post it here. It wouldn't be the first time a member has checked out a car for someone else here. Plenty of members here that have travelled over 500 miles to get their dream car. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rice=&cardist=772&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So really you would be looking at the X Premium to get the moon roof and heated mirrors (or an XT), since they were not available on either the X or X Sports. Plus the X Premium has heated seats included.

Also since you found the horsepower adequate in the new Forester an Outback you tested, you'll be happy to know it was the same 170 horsepower engine as the 07-08's have.

Just for fun, increase your search parameters and if you find something that fits your criteria, post it here. It wouldn't be the first time a member has checked out a car for someone else here. Plenty of members here that have travelled over 500 miles to get their dream car.
Thanks for the links.

The XT you posted is perfect! I could overlook my desire for silver for that car in blue...

How adventurous are you? Maybe you could have Roo and Pleiad7 look at it for you. Then negotiate over the phone, then ship to you....
The car you posted is a little much for me right now but thanks for the link and the idea.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's another not an XT but close by
They could have done a better detail on the car, but also in one of the pics you see a Grand Opening sign, they'll definately want to move cars they have during this time. Contact the Internet Manager or drop by and see if she's open to offers.

Good Luck

Lol! That's the car I was talking about earlier in this thread.

I found it on Autotrader and I emailed the dealership. An 'internet manager' set up an appointment with a sales person for me and I visited the dealership which was an hour and a half away.

When I showed up, I asked for the salesperson and they said he hadn't been there in several weeks due to surgery. I asked about the car and they said that the person that just walked past me as I was walking in and had purchased the car.

Three hours of driving, $8 in tolls, $20 bucks in gas... Unbelievable.

I was going to try to get them down about $1000 in price... Not sure if that would have worked...

It was a nice drive anyway...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts