Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that am asking in the right place. My apologies in advance if I'm not.

I have been shopping around for a used Forester XT for a few months, and I think that I have found the perfect vehicle for my budget and needs. A dealership about an hour away from me has a very nice looking "Cayenne Red Pearl" 2004 Forester XT. It has about 65,000 miles on it, and it's a southern car. This is a HUGE plus up here in Wisconsin, so that is a big win for me.

1. Is $13,995 [/B]a good price? I feel it's on the high end of what the '04 XT is worth, looking at Edmunds, KBB, and NADA, the prices have ranged from 11,500ish up to 13,250.

2. What should I be on the look out for? Are there mechanical issues specific to this vehicle that I need to be aware of and on the lookout for other than the obvious check for strange sounds, visible leaks, and of course, check the condition of all the fluids?

3. Can the turbocharged engine be tuned to run E85? I have seen other turbocharged vehicles tuned accordingly to run E85, which is much cheaper per gallon than Premium is here in my area. What is involved in that process? Will I need to upgrade the injectors and/or fuel pump to accomodate the new tune?

The other vehicle that they have on the lot that caught my eye, but I'm not entierly sold on, is a 03 Forester XS, which is loaded, but has just shy of 100,000 miles on it. Generally I know reliability isn't an issue with Subarus, but I remember hearing about head gasket problems in 03 and prior models. Is this still an issue? Is $9,995 a decent asking price? Downfalls on both vehicles is they're AT, but honestly, I'm not too picky when it comes to AT vs MT unless there are major issues with Subaru's AT.

Thanks for the answers in advance. I look forward to potentially joining the Subaru club, I've lusted after a Forester for many many years, and now just might be the time I finally get one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the Forester XT out for a test drive, needless to say, I don't think I'll be buying it. First, half way through my test drive the CEL came on. Was told they would fix whatever the issue was. Of course, it could be something stupid like a loose fuel cap, but whatever. The second issue I noted was that the transmission slams hard into 3rd. On normal acceleration it shifts nice and smooth, but when I put the hammer down it basically slams into gear. I've experienced similar things on AT cars that have transmissions that are on the their last legs. The salesman tried telling me it was normal since the transmission is heavy duty due to the turbo. Not sure if I buy that or not. I took a look under the hood and it looked like there were no leaks but I could smell antifreeze pretty persistently outside the vehicle when it was running.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts