Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm looking in to replacing the head unit 2010 for something with a bit more functionality and performance. I've been looking around for the past 2 weeks or so and at the moment I'm leaning toward the Pioneer AVIC-x710BT (which I found for half the price listed on that site).

My main reuiqerments for the new unit are the following:
  • built-in GPS
  • built-in bluetooth
  • decent iPod/iPhone integration
  • not too expensive (under $700 would be nice)
  • able to integrate into the steering wheel controls

And it seems like the AVIC-X710bt does all of those pretty well.

So does anyone have any opinions on the unit? Or suggestions to alternatives that my be better or equal (but at a better price) than the one I've been eying for the past 2 days?

Thanks guys!

edit:
I'm not sure if it matters... but I currently have a no-nav 6-disk stock head unit in my fozz

·
Eternal Noob
2003 2.5x
25 Posts
I have a Pioneer F900bt and it's extremely quirky. The 710 (and 910) are the next model and were supposed to fix the issues.

They are still plagued by a longer start up time and slower controls than the newest 920 series.

Amazon currently has the top of the line Z110 model for about $860-880. It's not in your budget but it is their flagship model. It has much better sound quality and software than the "F" series.

Whatever unit you choose, if it's a pioneer, I would head over to AVIC411.com and see what the guys there say about it. They will give you all kinds of little tricks (like fixing the parking brake requirement for navi and movies) and what you can really expect from the unit.

FYI - I am purchasing and installing a AVIC Z110 this weekend, and I sold my F900, so I may be a bit biased.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Vince

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
I don't know if this helps any because it's just my stupid opinion, but I don't like Pioneer and I don't personally know anyone who does. Plus if you still want to use the steering wheel controls you most likely have to stick with Alpine, Clarion, JVC, or my favorite Kenwood.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
a co-worker recomended the Alpine IVA-W505... but that's a little more than I wanted to spend.

I also read the Kenwood actually uses Garmin software for their navigation...which was impressive. But for some reason I just don't like how most their units look :-\

1 - 7 of 7 Posts