Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a used 4EAT for my 04. I can't seem to find a concrete word on what will fit. I found a pretty good deal on an 03 with only 22k miles. I've read here that 04+ xt's won't work because they are direct something. I see some other trannies on ebay for a better price, but they say 05-08. Why are some 99-08 and some 05-08?

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Yeah...I was very afraid he meant something other then a transmission too...To funny.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay, so I used a little double-entendre to get people to look at my thread. I was a little "sleepy" last night. I do, however, need to buy a transmission. Why does Subaru say they are so model year specific? Can I use just about anything or do I need to stick to certain years?

A side question too. I know to stay away from synthetic fluid, but what is your favorite fluid in a Subby? I just had mine flushed to try to clean out a stuck transfer control solenoid, and now I have real problems.:icon_eek: The TCS is better, but now I have all the typical slipping that comes with cleaning an old trans too well. It was worth a shot.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
'05-'08 is the newer, direct-control 4EAT (actually, it was first introduced on the 04 XT and then used across the line in MY05). You may be able to use it if you swap the TCU as well.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Are they reverse compatible? (99 trans won't work in an 05 car, but an 05 trans would in a 99 car) without changing tcu? Some sites say 99-08 are all interchangeable. Sounds like I'm okay 99-04 N/A though.

Edit:
After reading Tuned valve body thread, it sounds like I would at least need to swap tcu's. This leads to next ? Can I swap to newer tcu? How does it interact with ecu? I would then need to repin the plugs? This is getting way to complicated for just a trans swap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd suggest paying close attention to the adams apple and hands. Those are the biggest early warning signs of a bad tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts