Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.0 diesel manual 6 speed
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm at 87k miles and i'm looking to replace the OEM suspension with some aftermarket + lower the car a bit.

Two options that seem viable right now are:
1. KYB Excel-G + TEIN lowered springs (-4cm) = $685
2. TEIN Street Advance Z coilovers = $678

Both options require the use of original mounts.

Coilovers are a bit adjustable -4 to -6cm, other than that, i don't think they have any advantage.

Question is what is better quality setup and which one would make the car handle better.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 4-AT
98 Posts
Coilovers should because of the fine tuning adjustments. I was in the same dilemma but scored some springs really cheap.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And did you leave the original shocks with those springs?

These TEIN entry coilovers don't have much adjustment really. Only the height, nothing else. For a much more adjustable set of TEIN coilovers it would be more than $1000, and i don't do any track runs or something so i really don't need it.

EDIT: My bad, these coilovers can actually adjust the damping so i guess that's another plus.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
If you are looking into struts/springs/mounts...the KYB with Swift springs and the Subaru Groupe N mounts are a solid setup. This is what I ran on my WRX wagon for many miles. The bonus with the Swift springs is they make a Forester specific set. This helps with the extra weight over the rear in these vehicles versus springs specd for the WRX.

I have never run coiovers due to the fact that most are prone to being noisy. Although there are folks out there that swear by them. The sky is the limit here, from the eBay specials up to the Ohlins and Bilstein offerings. Right in the middle of the pack is a company called BC Racing who seem to make a good product for the money, right around $1K for the set. A buddy of mine just put a set of these on his 2015 WRX but hasn't had them on long enough to give any real feedback.

The real decision you are faced with is a fixed height setup along with no damping adjustments, or full adjustability of the coilovers.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
speaking generically, coilovers will add more noise as they have much less rubber to isolate the road noise from the cabin. The vibrations go right into the chassis. All of those little minor impacts and imperfections in the road also go right to the chassis so despite all the dampening range available, it will always feel more "harsh", unless you specifically get coilovers that reuse stock components like the OEM top hats.

That being said there are a lot of benefits to coilovers in the way of traction, turn in and response. If handling is your priority, coilovers will win every time. If comfort is your priority a proper spring/shock setup will be better suited.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind i'm not in the US and after many digging these two options i have mentioned are basically the only quality options i have where i live. Anything else is either crap or too expensive. This is already pretty much as much as i'm willing to spend.

The lowering springs will provide -4-4.5cm drop, the same as i intend to run on the coilovers, don't want to go too low, not my intention. So drop difference is not important for me, also the damping adjustment i plan to leave it on the middle point and never touch it so again, not very important. And i will have to reuse OEM top mounts anyway on both options.

I'm just wondering by default what would be a better handling option + very important for me to have it last another 70-80 thousand miles. I know that KYB Excel G are good quality but don't know how they would react with lowered springs over 80k miles, while the coilovers are MADE to be at that height, so it seems to be a safer option or am i wrong?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 4-AT
98 Posts
And did you leave the original shocks with those springs?

These TEIN entry coilovers don't have much adjustment really. Only the height, nothing else. For a much more adjustable set of TEIN coilovers it would be more than $1000, and i don't do any track runs or something so i really don't need it.

EDIT: My bad, these coilovers can actually adjust the damping so i guess that's another plus.
I have to change my shocks... I have SLS rears on my SH. I'll Be going with the kyb sj replacements.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now i got a reply from TEIN that they did not test these coilovers on the diesel engine, just on 2.5L gasoline one. What does it mean? Will it fit anyway? Is there some weight difference? Do you think it matters?
They don't want to say if it will fit or not since they didn't test it, that's understandable.

·
Registered
2012 2.5X 5MT
25 Posts
Another possibility is Pedders Sport springs, made in Australia. #PED-804015
They claim the springs will work just fine with stock struts(except the self levelers). I put a set on my SH a year and a half ago and just love the difference, with an STI rear sway bar it's a world of difference in handling.

From their website:
Front Spring Rate: 4.5 kg/mm

Front Drop Height: 40 mm

Rear Spring Rate: 3.7 kg/mm

Rear Drop Height: 50 mm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many miles on your car?

I recently installed the tow hook and the rear looks a bit saggy. I would much rather drop the front 50, and the rear 40.
I've read about it before and apparently the front feels very bouncy with these springs since the shocks are too soft. Can you confirm/deny this?

This is the main reason i don't try it. And also i've read from someone that after 1 month the original shock gave up and he had to replace. So i'm not sure about it because in the end the cost could end up being the same as coilovers if i need to replace the shocks.

Pedders is not available for me, i have already check with them. But i could go for TEIN springs which drop the front by 45mm, and the rear by 40mm.

Side question: If i decide to just change the springs, and a shock fails on me, is it possible to drive like that for about 3 weeks? This is the required waiting time for me to get new shocks shipped.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT
284 Posts
I plan on going with the Tein coilovers. Seems like theres always issues with saggy butt or ride height. You can go a tad bit stiffer with rear springs if you plan on towing or carrying large loads in the back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts