Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 XTe
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 FXT has developed a clonk from the rear again and I reckon it is the left shock absorber again! - if this needs replacing then it will be the 4th set of SLS shocks that my car has had. I do tow a medium sized caravan and there are plenty of potholes around here but this last set have only lasted 8 months which is , frankly, ridiculous.
So what are my options? I've searched around and it seems that if I switch to KYB shocks then I'll also need to change the springs. The aftermarket springs all seem to be either longer or shorter so I'll need to replace the fronts too.
Does anyone know of a combination of springs and struts that would keep the same ride height and negate the need for a change of fronts too?
Or if not, what's the best combination that would lower it by the smallest amount?
Any advice appreciated
Jon

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,569 Posts
Not an easy question to answer..........

KYB non SLS rear struts are available for the SG in the UK........

(About £50 +VAT each)
BUT no equivalent springs as yet. :icon_sad:

All models of SG brought into the UK by IM have self leveling rear suspension so Subaru UK would be unlikely to stock a suitable non SLS spring either. :icon_sad:

However Subaru does list a non-SLS spring for the early SG as 20380SA020 which is available States-side.

It may also be available in Continental Europe.

As the rear top mounts changed for the SG,(top of spring now "pig tail" type not chopped) the SF non SLS springs are unlikely to fit without using/changing to SF rear top mounts.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
You say you tow a caravan. Why not use some heavier springs on the rear then?
If you go from sls suspension to standard oem setup. your rear will drop a good bit with the a trailer on. Now I was going to advise you to buy springs from mad since they are located in UK but I can't seem to find springs for subarus anymore.
I you use heavier springs like King springs or similar on the rear. Sure the car will sit a bit higher then normal on the rear but only when the car is empty or you don't pull any trailer.
I recommend you buy std height king springs if you don't want much difference in height. Ofc it may cost you a bit more then getting a set of oem springs.
Good luck with whatever you choose :icon_wink:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,569 Posts
I recommend you buy std height king springs if you don't want much difference in height.
Unfortunately std height King Springs are not listed for the SG forester, only lowered or raised.:icon_sad:, Otherwise I would have added that to my original answer.

Lowered King springs may be the way to go but would require changing all four springs.

·
Registered
06 XTe
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to make a bit of a fuss at my subaru dealer if they won't replace the std shocks under warranty but even if they do, I'm thinking that long term I might have to go with Dons idea of lowered springs and KYB shocks. Does anyone know of a "King Spring" supplier in the UK?
Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
06 XTe
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just an update to anyone who's interested..
Subaru have said that they will replace the shocks under warranty so I'll go with this for now but thanks for all the help as at least I know what my options are if I need a "plan B"
Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts