Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i go to shift into second gear, and 3rd theres a big thud for a split second. But the odd thing is it gets less and less pronounced with every gear change, but most noticeable in the change from 1st to 2nd. Its non existent in the change from 4th to 5th. Now i noticed when i go to shift and i let the revs drop to 2.5k every time, regardless of what gear im in, the thud is gone. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

even if the best advice is, "wait for new years day when i go to visit my friend who is a mechanic and see what he says" ill take it, i just want to know if this is a subaru thing or something i should be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Worn mounts (engine, motor, rear diff carrier)?

·
Registered
2009 X Limited 4EAT
605 Posts
Its a subaru thing and it only gets worse with miles. Your factory engine/tranny mounts, rear subframe, diff carrier all have really soft movable bushings also, the drive shaft is 2 piece and it tends to move a little

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
The harsh 2-3 upshift is one of the hallmarks of the 4EAT. It's worse when the transmission is cold, but in essence, while it is annoying, it is not detrimental to the transmission or an indication of impending failure. You might consider fresh fluid (be sure to use the required ATF-HP) and new transmission filter for starters.

Have a look here too:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/shift-shock-58899/
Annoying transmission (4EAT) problem. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/4eat-jerky-shifting-low-speed-201954/

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
how much oil does the 05xt 4eat take? the dealer made me buy 7 quarts. does it really take that much?

(Scribbled from me Note 3 - AutoGuide App)

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
how much oil does the 05xt 4eat take? the dealer made me buy 7 quarts. does it really take that much?

The manual for my '10 (same transmission, I think) says 9.8 quarts for a complete empty and refill.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
i actually figured it out - when i noticed the diff stick on the other side, i realized things and got my head on straight. and i meant atf, not gear oil. i had some s-tech whatever stuff left over from my 5MT. now, i've got to get another quart of gear oil.

thanks for your response though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts