Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Impreza 2.5i
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have a stick shift Forester. I want a new shift knob. Suggestions? I pm-ed Yelnats to try and get him to make me another aluminum knob (The one I have is A/T). But anyone else got suggestions?

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
+1 kartboy
prodrive, or yelnats.... subaru branded momo's aren't too bad. the boss has one on her 07 fxt at, and the feeling of it makes me think it would be nice for a mt.

I believe yelnats posted here in the past that he felt that latheworks had copied his designs. I should probably search before I posted that but thats my memory, and it left me with a NOT so warm and fuzzy feeling about wc latheworks.

Here's an image showing the prodrive next to the kartboy

good luck

dm

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I believe yelnats posted here in the past that he felt that latheworks had copied his designs. I should probably search before I posted that but thats my memory, and it left me with a NOT so warm and fuzzy feeling about wc latheworks.

good luck

dm
sort of goes along with the JR/Subtle strut spacer issue, how many different ways can you machine a shiftknob?
I like that WC offers 4eat knobs as well, a la Cannonshooter

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
i believe that's a stock knob. I have that same one in my Forester Sport XT.
Shift Knob Leather Subaru Legacy : eBay Motors (item 320502987995 end time Mar-26-10 10:09:15 PDT)

Do you have any idea how big this is compared to the older forester standard shifter? What about weight?

I don't like the round shape very well (like kb, momo, latheworks etc) but instead like the general oblong shape like standard. Also, I wouldn't want a metal one, plastic would be OK but prefer leather that is just a tad "squishy". I don't like the "sticky" feel of the standard rubber one and find it too small (like in 2000L and 2004X).

I have been using an aftermarket oblong one with faux leather and some metal surface, but it's a real PITA because of a collar with set screws and it's a bit too tall after putting in a kb shortshifter. I basically have to put goop on it and glue it on to keep from rotating. I do really like the fact it is lighter weight - it feels to me like the lighter weight is actually easier to shift, contrary to what many seem to experience. This is the one I have that has been OK.
SHIFT KNOB by APC - Part PM-2208 - Advance Auto Parts

BTW ... anyone have any issues with the way the kartboy rear bushing pushes up on the rubber linkage boot underneath the vehicle - does it still seem to last OK without cracking? The rear bushing was a real PITA to put on too because of poor alignment with mounting bolts. The front kb bushings required an extra 7/16 fender washer to keep things from being too sloppy. :icon_frown:
The shifter took more than a plastic/rubber hammer to drive home. I wound up putting my "cheater" pipe over the shifter where it contacted the central area where the bolt goes through. I used about a 3lb hammer to drive home and even then was a little difficult.:icon_eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts