Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am ready to buy a new shift knob. My dad has a TRD shiftknob on his Tacoma (sphere) and I want something similar. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this knob from TWM performance:

I also really like the WC Lathe works burnt Stainless steel:
but I think I like the complete sphere look better.

My question is if I install the TWM knob, will the boot fall down because there is not a retaining ring on the knob? Does anyone have any pictures of a boot that is slipped down in the Forester?

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I'm a kartboy knuckle ball fan myself.

I first had a prodrive and enjoyed that, but when I replaced it with the kartboy I was really happy. I liked the smaller ball size and the lower position as well. My kartboy and prodrive are metal and if I had to do it again i'd get a delrin knob and not need a knob sock for the winter.

here's an image showing the two knobs and size differences...
kartboy on the left prodrive on the right

dm

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
The shift knobs look like the VooDoo shift knobs like I have on my Miata.

Voodoo Shift Knob - Pearl

They do get icy cold in the winter. If you are concerned about the boot falling down you can do what I had to do once. Get a 2" section of rubber fuel hose, split it down the side and push it under the boot and hold it in place with a few wire ties. Looks fine from the outside. I've attached a pic it's on a Kartboy shift knob but my guess is you could get it to work on an OEM shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you not concerned with a cold knob? I am guessing it doesn't get into the minuses where you live?

Love number 2 but it gets too cold here. Oh and I do not have a 5 spd.
I am not too concerned about a cold shift knob. I wear gloves in the winter time. Do you think the stainless knob will get uber hot/cold?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a kartboy knuckle ball fan myself.

I first had a prodrive and enjoyed that, but when I replaced it with the kartboy I was really happy. I liked the smaller ball size and the lower position as well. My kartboy and prodrive are metal and if I had to do it again i'd get a delrin knob and not need a knob sock for the winter.

here's an image showing the two knobs and size differences...
kartboy on the left prodrive on the right

dm
I actually ordered a Kartboy knuckle ball knob, and it is just a little too small. The height is great, but I would like it to have a bit more diameter.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shift knobs look like the VooDoo shift knobs like I have on my Miata.

Voodoo Shift Knob - Pearl

They do get icy cold in the winter. If you are concerned about the boot falling down you can do what I had to do once. Get a 2" section of rubber fuel hose, split it down the side and push it under the boot and hold it in place with a few wire ties. Looks fine from the outside. I've attached a pic it's on a Kartboy shift knob but my guess is you could get it to work on an OEM shifter.
Excellent solution Peaty. Do you have any pictures before you came up with the gas line solution?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts