Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to Rotella T-6 Synthetic 5w40 oil recently and I am thrilled with the results. Prior to this, I would burn a quart every 1500 miles (motor has 121k on it and running an 18G). Well I just checked after 1600 miles of the oil change and the dipstick is still reading full, indicating zero or very little oil consumption. Prior to this, I had tried two synthetics (valvoline synpower, penzoil platinum, both 5w30) and regular penzoil dino (10w30) and all 3 gave me oil consumption issues...though the synths consumed a bit less than the dino.

The only drawback to this oil i have read about is it can be potentially harmful to catalytic converters. Despite this, many people with cats run it anyway without issues. I don't have a cat, so it doesn't matter to me.

And at 20 bucks for a gallon at autozone, it isn't too expensive. Most wal-marts carry it by the quart so you can buy the extra quart without having to buy another gallon, though i just buy several gallons at a time now.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Hmm 40 weight eh? Is that going to cause issues with everything getting properly lubed?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Hmm 40 weight eh? Is that going to cause issues with everything getting properly lubed?
Since the manual says that up to a 50 weight can be used in extreme conditions, I'd say probably not. I think that 30 weight oils are recommended mostly for fuel economy reasons.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
540 Posts
I have use with good results the Rotella T SB 0W40, it's in my motorcycles and cars.

"Rotella T SB 100% Synthetic 0W-40 has been formulated to give the best performance over the widest temperature range. Rotella T SB Synthetic Blend Heavy Duty Engine Oils are recommended for all types of service in trucks and automotive diesel and gasoline engines where the manufacturer specifies the API service classifications listed. They are especially suited for use in low temperature environments where extreme pumpability properties are required."

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea and over at nasioc there are lots of people who love the rotella in their 2.5 turbos. When i had a VW GTI 1.8T, i used 5w40 also, but castrol syntec...and the GTI called for 5w30 like our cars, but it loved the 5w40.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,659 Posts
I switched to Rotella T-6 Synthetic 5w40 oil recently and I am thrilled with the results. Prior to this, I would burn a quart every 1500 miles (motor has 121k on it and running an 18G). Well I just checked after 1600 miles of the oil change and the dipstick is still reading full, indicating zero or very little oil consumption. Prior to this, I had tried two synthetics (valvoline synpower, penzoil platinum, both 5w30) and regular penzoil dino (10w30) and all 3 gave me oil consumption issues...though the synths consumed a bit less than the dino.

The only drawback to this oil i have read about is it can be potentially harmful to catalytic converters. Despite this, many people with cats run it anyway without issues. I don't have a cat, so it doesn't matter to me.

And at 20 bucks for a gallon at autozone, it isn't too expensive. Most wal-marts carry it by the quart so you can buy the extra quart without having to buy another gallon, though i just buy several gallons at a time now.
Apples vs. oranges. RTS 5W-40 vs. Synpower, PP, and Pennzoil conventional. All Energy Conserving oils. :)

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40?

Where's that can of worms again? *getting out the can opener..*

Anyone try running Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in their XT? I've been running it in my VR6 Passat, thinking of migrating the XT and the Ducati (dry clutch FTW!) to it as well to streamline my oiling needs. It's readily available at local AutoZone stores for $20/gallon.

I'm using Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 at the moment, doing changes at 5K or so using the old black Subaru filter. 56K on the car, VF43, climate here varies from below freezing to over 100F.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Many tuners use exclusively that stuff, the previous owner of my Saab 900 used 15w-30 rotella in everything he had (900, 9000, Volvo, and a Porsche). I'm just not sure about it because they don't have to follow the same requirements as gas engine oil. Good stuff still, and cheap.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
It's not rated as energy conserving or whatever, but why do I need that? It's high on zinc content and other good stuff -- yum. Suposedly can cause damage to catalytic converter over time, but mine is aftermarket anyway.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 FXT
384 Posts
I'm runnin Shell Rotella T Synthetic but I'll have to check and see what kind. I have a black stone lab test and it ran great!!! I'll get back to you and check the type.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
I'm also curious about this oil and may switch over to this on my next oil change. This maybe a good budget full sythetic on my daily driver especially when I always change oil every 3K miles even if it is Synthetic. I do alot of driving Between Santa Rosa and Hemet so oil changes get pricey.

My other mechanic friends also plan on switching over to this on a budget. It had good results on some his customers cars after oil analysis.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i swear by this stuff. then again i just blew my motor; lol. but im certain it had nothing to do with it.

i use the T6 fully synthetic 5w40. the only annoying thing is that the jug is only 4 quarts, unlike almost every other jug which is 5.28. this means you gotta add a quart...which many places don't carry. but i have found single quarts at walmart.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
great oil! when i make the switch to syn, ill be running the 5w40. walmart is the best place around for oil, cheap cheap cheap!

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Cool. Next oil change is coming up, I'll be using this.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,659 Posts
theres no more rotella T..its been replaced with the rotella T6 fyi
Same stuff. :wink:

Shell confirmed in an email to someone at bitog that there was no formulation change, only a label change as part of a re-marketing campaign.
You can always find a uoa on this stuff at bitog.

STI . 4k miles on the oil.

LGT . 7k miles on the oil

-Dennis

1 - 20 of 59 Posts