Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever transport a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood/drywall etc, on the roof rack? The weight and width are fine, the length would be somewhat of a problem, and I'm not sure what the best way of holding it down would be, I suppose some rope and some clamps...

JB

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,734 Posts
My biggest suggestion is don't let the load flap loose in the front. It's amazing what can happen when the wind gets up under a light sheet of plywood or drywall. If you have multiple sheets, be sure they are all tied together at the very front so that you're presenting one solid mass to the wind. Maybe even secure the bundle with a 4' crosspiece at the front for additional mass. Minimize the amount exposed to the front, and tie it down to some solid attachment point at the very front of the car.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Whenever I do this, I also get 2x4s, usually four of 'em to go under and on top of the plywood (or whatever sheet material is up there). The 2x4s act as stiffeners.

And then I try to keep the speed down. I have this vision of the stiffened plywood acting like a big lifting wing... HPH

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
The 2x4s are a great idea.

Only other thing i've done in the past is to tape a big piece of cardboard to the top of the windhield, and then also to the front of the sheet of wood. (I've done this for mattresses as well) this is only for longer drives, and ones at higher speeds, but it deflects a lot of the air over the item on the roof, instead of under it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. The 2x4 idea is a good one. I might get two, notch them appropriately for my rack to add stability. A notch in the front to add a 2x4 windshield, and then I can put some eye bolts along the side to give me some nice tie down options...

My own custom rack, my first "mod"...all for less than $10. I'll take pics. I may do this tonight...

The nice thing is that I live ~2 miles from Home Depot, and it's all back roads, so I won't have to go more than 40mph to get home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ended up buying a cheap utility trailer for this kind of junk-it has paid for itself by hauiling soil, gravel, firewood, etc.

For your roof question, get a set of ratcheting tie downs from home depot, they are the handiest thing to have in the back of your car, along with the tow chain...

·
Registered
32 Posts
jroden said:
I ended up buying a cheap utility trailer for this kind of junk-it has paid for itself by hauiling soil, gravel, firewood, etc.

For your roof question, get a set of ratcheting tie downs from home depot, they are the handiest thing to have in the back of your car, along with the tow chain...
Where did you find/buy a cheap trailer? Since it was cheap, how is is holding up? Rusting a lot on the weld seems? I am looking for a trailer myself

Thanks
-S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts