1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see this thread on NASIOC?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926496

Obviously user error but just want to bring it to everyone attention here. Be careful ascending the ramps. If the ramp buckles or slide, check for cracks on the ramps. I have used the Rhino Ramps for the last 3 years with no ill effect. I even had it slid once and no cracks. I just did a tuneup using the Rhino Ramps over the weekend so the thread caught my attention.

In all honesty, I rather use my metal ramps after reading this but my car is too low for the metal ramps.

Purpose of this thread? Be careful and take it slow.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wow, that would suck if it broke while you were working underneath the car.
I lost one of the rubber gripper things on one of my Rhino Ramps so it sometimes slides when i try to drive up on it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ramps

I've got Metal ones. Heavy gage steel. I have had them for about 15 years now. I got them from a friend that was going to throw them out in a garage cleaning. I almost got rid of them a few years ago, but now I think that I'll hang on to them. I used them to change Oil in the Forester a few weeks ago.
:Banane01:

D

·
0 Posts
I've used the rhino ramps with the only problem being that they slide sometimes.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
It makes you wonder what he was doing with them, how he stores them, etc. I think Rhino Ramps are pretty darn solid. I'm wondering if he was on a smooth concrete driveway or if he was on an undulating asphalt drive or gravel.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
SnowMan said:
Please explain how it is obviously user error when there are/were air bubbles in the casting where they broke?
I will talk to my wife, she's a plastic expert of sorts. I think that type of molded plastic is supposed to be that way. Outer structure with cells in the center, not positive though.

I've had my RR's for over 10 years and have never had an issue with mine. With out knowing all the facts it's hard to say. Could be bad QC or could be OE too. I think if this were happening a lot we'd know by now though. I find that many issues occur in shipping due to the way the transport people handle stuff w/ fork trucks. I can tell you that 99.5% of the time in my industry if a container fails the damage happened after it left the factory due to that very reason.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
From the photos, the failure appears at the front end of the ramps. I am betting that he drove up the ramps, applied the brakes, and hit the end of the ramp, causing it to lift or tilt to the front. This may have caused the ramp to slid/skid, causing it to break.

Like anything, used improperly, it will break. Understanding the limits of your equipment is important. I also believe the air bubbles are common in many types of molded plastic.

If these things failed with any regularity, we would have heard about it by now.

My 2 cents worth - change available...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I can't imagine that there would be a design with plastic having voids in the inner structure. Since they're definitely not injection molded I'm guessing they're cast. And just like metal you don't want voids in that structure.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Metal ramps ftw! I got my set for $5 at a yard sale, and it's super heavy duty.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I've got a set of blue metal ramps I use.. They are pretty heavy but since i'm so buff its not really a problem.. :roll:

IMO I hope that these ramps are infact a bad product/ defect. . otherwise this guy is def. hurting their reputation/ currect consumers

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
That sucks! I use a 16" lift floor jack. I found it at a garage sale 15 years ago. I use it and 4 jack stands, I like the car to be level in the air.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Since they're definitely not injection molded
Are you sure about that? I plan on inspecting mine today to see, I will ask my wife to look at them since she is an engineer that works with injection mold equipment all the time.

It just seems to me that the outer thickness is pretty consistant. If the internal structure was not supposed to have any open cell area, the outer thickness would be much more variable than it appears to be. I'm thinking it's some sort of injection mold.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I probably shouldn't use such definitive language as "definitely." I took a look briefly at their site since I haven't looked at mine in a long long time.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
They are DEFINITELY supposed to have the "bubbles". In fact, I've seen them advertised as "Structural foam plastic construction", and "foam plastic". Google "rhino ramps foam" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
I'll be sticking to good old-fashioned metal ramps. What would the advantage be to using rhino ramps over steel? I've had steel ones forever.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
Galager said:
I'll be sticking to good old-fashioned metal ramps. What would the advantage be to using rhino ramps over steel? I've had steel ones forever.
Rhinos work better with lowered cars. Also, they tend to not slide out when driving up on them like metal ramps can.

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
909 Posts
I cut an extra pair up trying to build temporary wheelchair ramps for my father-in-law a while ago. Boy, those things are pretty tough! I did notice a few small air bubbles while doing my cutaways, but there usually was much more material than needed.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't see any obvious user error in his description of what happened.

I have a pair of heavy gauge steel ramps. Why would you want to buy plastic ramps when you can buy steel ramps?

On any set of ramps, no matter what they're made of, you can glue nonslip material, such as tough foam or rubber, to the edges that make contact with what the ramps are placed on to help keep them from slipping. In addition, I always have a spotter at the front of the vehicle with orders to immediately yell "stop" and wave his/her arms if a ramp starts to slide forward, and to make sure that I don't drive off the front of the tops of the ramps; and I drive SLOWLY up the ramps.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts