Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@tlheinz With this much of a drop on that wide of a tire (exact same as me) you will get a fair bit of inside camber wear on your rear tiers. I am currently going down the route of adjustable rear LCA and toe arm. This set me back about $400 plus alignment costs. On a similar note I also highly recommend getting a front roll centre kit to restore the factory geometry. I know, I should stop spending your $, lol.

Just some food for thought before you get an alignment.
Fenders are rolled and it clears currently. I am just wondering how much I can bring the camber back to neutral before it starts to hit again..

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,940 Posts
@GTEASER It's definitely on my bucket list. I am in a time crunch for an alignment so they are kind of out of the question right now. Is it easy to do the swap without screwing with your adjustments afterwards?
The lockout centers the inboard bolt of the toe arms in the slot on the subframe. If you can make sure that whatever washer you use, either the stock eccentric or grind a thick fender washer flat on opposite sides, and make absolutely sure it is centered in the slot, then you can install the SPL toe lockout kit later without issue. Below are some pics of mine installed.

I would highly recommend that you just get it installed now. That being said, I actually installed my toe arms and lockout AFTER my alignment and that is discussed in my build thread. I had my alignment printout with thrust angle and everything and was able to take measurements to verify that and make the proper adjustment in relation to the subframe to get a resultant 0 toe without messing with the thrust angle.

·
Premium Member
2009 XT
2 Posts
Wow!!! Just wow!!!!
@tlheinz , I cannot believe this! I’m currently deployed in the AF AND I just recently bought an 09 SHXT limited with exact factory specs as you (after beloved 05 SGXT was totaled in a wreck while I’m here). The SH has a Salvage title so I own the thing. Unfortunately, I get to restore the rough gem to its previous glory. I have the same exact plans for it too, especially with that interior, but with baby due early March, I can only pay for bodywork ...for now 😈 (since I’m not a body guy... but can do everything else). Currently it sits on wrx suspension with the rest stock. Near future plans include swapping over everything from the SG that I can : Hellas, APV3, Varex muffler(s), double din pioneer with custom sub setup, and whatever else I can salvage. Since I’m keeping the motor (just in case= becauseSubaru), I might go the fully built route... eventually. I got a great Christmas present from wife who gave the go-ahead for the body shop! Already have the STI grille and front skirt ready for the shop. Plans are to recreate Overland’s former SH (at least aesthetically) with a twist on an E-5 salary and soon-to-be two infants.
You are way ahead on the game, I will enjoy trying to keep up lol.
In summary, SUBSCRIBED (as soon as I figure out how to do a lot on this AWESOME site).
Find me on IG: @hisfozz

·
Registered
2012 2.5X 5MT revised 2012+
17 Posts
@tlheinz I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your documentation of everything you've done. High quality, specific images are so important when I am looking for inspiration or looking to solve a problem. You and I have similar plans for our SH's and I am excited to see how this goes!! :)

When you replaced your struts, did you move your mudflaps up or are they in the original installed position? When I swapped my struts for my '14 WRX ones (I also got a killer deal on them - 2000 miles on them for $300 off Craigslist), my mudflaps drag a bit when I have passengers and/or stuff in the trunk. Currently I'm sitting on 3/8" strut spacers in the rear. If you did raise them, how did you add new holes to the mudflaps? Obviously I was thinking just taking a drill to it but I'm apprehensive about messing it up so if there is a "idiot proof" way to do it I'm all for it.

Also, what are your opinions on your SPC control and toe arms? It's one of my "maybe in the future" ideas to replace the OEM suspension and I'm curious to hear your experience. Were they challenging to install? It was pretty easy to remove the lower rear control arms when I installed the struts, but I don't know enough about these adjustable control arms to understand if I need cutting and drilling, etc. I imagine you don't because many WRX-designed parts can fit our Foresters, but I'm not completely certain of these in particular.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
[MENTION=413138] I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your documentation of everything you've done. High quality, specific images are so important when I am looking for inspiration or looking to solve a problem. You and I have similar plans for our SH's and I am excited to see how this goes!! :)
That's awesome to hear! Looking forward to see what you do with your SH!

When you replaced your struts, did you move your mudflaps up or are they in the original installed position? When I swapped my struts for my '14 WRX ones (I also got a killer deal on them - 2000 miles on them for $300 off Craigslist), my mudflaps drag a bit when I have passengers and/or stuff in the trunk. Currently I'm sitting on 3/8" strut spacers in the rear. If you did raise them, how did you add new holes to the mudflaps? Obviously I was thinking just taking a drill to it but I'm apprehensive about messing it up so if there is a "idiot proof" way to do it I'm all for it.
I didn't move the mudflaps at all. Honestly I kind of like them dragging around being a nuisance, idk, maybe I am crazy.

[MENTION=413138]Also, what are your opinions on your SPC control and toe arms? It's one of my "maybe in the future" ideas to replace the OEM suspension and I'm curious to hear your experience. Were they challenging to install? It was pretty easy to remove the lower rear control arms when I installed the struts, but I don't know enough about these adjustable control arms to understand if I need cutting and drilling, etc. I imagine you don't because many WRX-designed parts can fit our Foresters, but I'm not completely certain of these in particular.
I think for the money, you can't beat SPC control and toe arms. They do the job. Unless you are looking for something crazy and flashy, they are perfect.

For doing it yourself... I attempted, even went and bought a impact that does 400 ft lbs, but it wouldn't break the nuts loose. I was working in my apartment garage with no WD40 or nut busting agent. My other issue was not currently having deep sockets which are needed for a few bolts. I ended up paying to have it done which was more expensive than I anticipated, but I had to deal with it. The only thing they didn't replace was the knuckle bushing which the SPC controls come with, but mine were fine as of the replacement.

There was no cutting and drilling needed to do either of these parts. One thing to note as previously mentioned before is the lockout kit from SPL for the toe arms is good to get!

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Bumper Thumper

So I was just casually cruising along when someone thought they should cut across 4 lanes. They clipped my drivers side rear end. Here is the damage...

I know the car is super dirty, I need to clean it. Damage wasn't to bad, the pre-estimates are at $2000 for a new bumper, exhaust, and crash bar.

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,940 Posts
Caster is not adjustable on Subarus. You would need either Whiteline Com-C tophats or caster correcting front LCA rear bushings from AVO or SuperPro, but even then it's a set amount of increased caster, not "adjustable". The only adjustable options would be camber plates with a caster adjust component.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for this info, I will be looking into the Ground Control ones that @FXTerrific just got. They look really cool and will match with my entire hints of red scheme. I am considering going bagged for the versatility that it offers. Maybe coilovers will be enough with the increased stiffness that I won't rub when I hit bigger bumps, but it sure would be nice to air up if I know about a certain bump coming. The only thing that concerns me is that the Ground Control ones won't be compatible with an air ride setup.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Updates

Just to give everyone an update on where the project is sitting. I am in the process of moving to SD and am trying to save up money so I can afford a donor STI. I have been looking occasionally trying to find something that will suit my needs but to no avail. My goals for now will be to just do some smaller cheaper things to allow me to continue modding the car!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts