Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
imo theres only 2 wheel sizes to get with a lowered SH. I say that as i think it sits dead flush, and with different tire sizes you can make them work for your exact needs/the look you want. To me they both look about identical in the way they sit for all intensive purposes.

1: the size you mentioned....9.5 width with 38 offset.
2: or 9" width with 35 offset.

Then its just a matter of picking the 17 vs 18 idea out...obviously factoring in a shorter sidewall with the 18 vs a chunk look with the 17. @chuckc has the size you mentioned.....i think its heavenly.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/4062074-post1227.html

or mine, with a skinnier wheel but it pokes out a little more so comes out about even.

·
Registered
89 Posts
btw, looking at Chuckc's setup it would seem it would rub the fenders if he hit a bump or pothole...?

maybe i want 18x8.5 if i want the wheel to tuck under the fenders over bumps?
@trajik78 --it used to rub in rear with just 3/4 spacers on bumps, but now I have no rub on speedbumps or potholes, even loaded w/ passengers and baggage and that's w/ 255/40's.

Front camber is -1.9 camber 0-toe; -2.0 0-toe rear, and I have 1.25 saggy butt spacers in the rear, .25 spacers up front.

rear ISC adjustable LCA's and SPC adjustable toe arms
GTWorks front camber bolts (stock top location)

all fenders rolled and painted with truck bed lining as a percaution, but w/ current setup i don't think it's needed.

With 18x7.5 45et 225/45's, I had an 1inch between sidewall and fender in rear; tucked in with no issues when loaded before w/ 3/4 spacers

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
so @trajik78 based on his response i would say you need an additional .25 spacer on front and back (assuming you still have the 1" one in the back) if you want to go with the 9.5 width and 38 offset and have a chance of running a tire that wide as his 255/40...unless you go like 245/40 which will help a little as its shorter tire and little more stretch to clear that fender when its coming down,lol.

just remember to keep a connection with the width and the offset...just switching to 8.5 wont mean anything if the wheel you find has a 20 something offset.

this website always helps me compare where im at (put in your current setup) and then different options to see where you loose (or can gain) some space by playing with wheel and tire specs. Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

·
Registered
89 Posts
so @trajik78 based on his response i would say you need an additional .25 spacer on front and back (assuming you still have the 1" one in the back) if you want to go with the 9.5 width and 38 offset and have a chance of running a tire that wide as his 255/40...unless you go like 245/40 which will help a little as its shorter tire and little more stretch to clear that fender when its coming down,lol.

just remember to keep a connection with the width and the offset...just switching to 8.5 wont mean anything if the wheel you find has a 20 something offset.

this website always helps me compare where im at (put in your current setup) and then different options to see where you loose (or can gain) some space by playing with wheel and tire specs. Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
here is the one I used when deciding on the 255's:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
thats nice @chuckc, wouldve saved me some wear n tear on the old pad and pen, and time converting to inches for all my simplton math calculations.

added: your program checks out....confirms my scratch pad info, lol. backup options of 245/40 - 18x9.5x-38 will be same as my current one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is my SH on 18x9.5 +38 wheels with 245/45/18 tires. It will depend on your ride height and camber whether or not they rub. Mine rubbed in the rear even after a roll until I dialed in more -ve camber. This is on Konis with RCE WRX Yellows. I have a 1/4" spacer in the front and a 1" spacer in the rear.

The sidewall is quite fat on these tires and I sometimes wish I had gone with a narrower tire and avoided any rubbing but the added traction is nice :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts