Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 X
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I picked up a 2010 XT Limited and we're (haha, mainly me!) in the market for a new set of wheels. The car is stock height now, but will be lowered on Swift springs hopefully sometime next month. Now, I've seen a friends '09 with Swifts and 18's with 245/45's and the wheel gap is a little more than I'd want. Keep in mind, I'm not looking to slam the car and tuck tires, but would like just a little less wheel gap. Therefore, I'm looking into a set of 19's. I know I'll catch heat from some of you about running 19's, but it's cool, I've got my flame suit on. The car will primarily be driven by my wife and she is not overly concerned with cornering or unsprung weight. She just wants the car to look "nice".

Now, my question is this. I checked the Miata tire calculator, and it says that the recommended 19" tire size is 245/40/19. Any of you SH owners done 19's yet and got photos? For some reason, I "think" the 245/40 will look a little short and still present too much wheel gap. Therefore, I was thinking a 245/45/19 MIGHT be a better choice. It would serve 2 purposes. The ride quality would be a little better since the sidewall would be a little taller and more giving. Also, it would fill up the wheel gap better too. The only downside to it that I see would be the speedo being off by 2mph. Is that a huge issue? If the wheels I'm looking at are 19x8 with a +35, you new Fozzy owners think I'll run into issues with a 245/45 or do I play it safe with a 245/40 and hope that it visually fills up the gap? I've heard that the SH's have TONS of room, so I'm guessing it'll be ok as far as rubbing goes, but what about the speedo thing? Any long term issues?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
If I had an SH, I'd run an 19x8 +45 to +48 wheel with 245/45/19 tires. A +35 wheel is going to push it out quite a bit and you may rub the fender.

Not sure if you have a Discount tire near you, but my local one let me try some different tire sizes before I decided what size to buy.

·
Registered
2005 X
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had an SH, I'd run an 19x8 +45 to +48 wheel with 245/45/19 tires. A +35 wheel is going to push it out quite a bit and you may rub the fender.

Not sure if you have a Discount tire near you, but my local one let me try some different tire sizes before I decided what size to buy.
Thanks for the response. I know this means very little, but I'm running 18x8.5's with a +35 offset with 255/35/18's on my '05 2.5x lowered about 3" with WRX wagon struts and STi springs, and I only rub on big bumps with 3 or more people in the car. I know the new Foresters are higher than previous years, and I thought I read somewhere that they have more room in the fender. <<< I'm not too sure if that was measured, or just an initial impression. For those reasons though, I figured a wheel that was .5" narrower, a tire that is 10mm narrower, and more than 2" taller wouldn't really present any issues. Hahaha, at least it made sense in my very simple mind. Unfortunately, I don't have any measurements to back that up.

But does that seem to make sense to anybody else. Granted, we'd all be making assumptions, but it appears like it may work. I guess since I'm not mechanically inclined, I was also wondering if the the fact that the overall diameter is 1" more, if that would affect the engine/transmission in a negative way.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I don't think many people have really pushed an SH to see what would fit. I would love to see some 19s on one with some 245/45s though. +35 may clear, but I think it would be hard on the wheel bearings. It would look good though!

The taller tire is going throw the speedo off a little, but other than that is should be fine as long as it clears.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
The SH has more clearance to the strut, so you can fit wider tires without going to a lower offset (at least in the rear). Not sure what the clearance to the fender is however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts