Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of clogging the board, I have to start a new thread. Might be time to separate by generations now that we have 4...

Got this new SH and its gotta come down. I would just do swifts and be done with it, but they just don't drop it quite far enough for me. I would do the WRX swap, but the springs will be too soft and I'm not ok with that control arm situation. I don't care if no one has recorded any problems.

If I do the WRX swap AND get some 1" spacers, will that avoid the control arm issue and get me to the height I want which is right in between the swifts and WRX?

Could I then get stiffer WRX springs which might lower it again and put in bigger spacers? Or does someone like King make a stiffer spring at stock height?

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, that's a thought. Very pricey though and I kinda want a set it and forget it. Coils have to be maintained every so often, don't they?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT AT
98 Posts
I have GT Worx Bilsteins with RCE blacks but I'm about to switch to RCE yellows since they don't drop as much (10mm vs 25mm) from standard WRX suspension and are a stiffer spring (330 lbs/in front and 335 lbs/in rear). I also ordered subtle solutions's 3/8 saggy butt and nose dive spacers so I can fine tune it, but I'm thinking the yellows will be pretty good. The blacks dropped too much for me in the rear.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coilovers have the ability to go all the way up to stock height?

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, does anyone know of a front strut bar that fits the XT properly (aside from the flexible one from SUbaru)?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
Also, does anyone know of a front strut bar that fits the XT properly (aside from the flexible one from SUbaru)?
I have the Whiteline KSB568(08+WRX) on my 2010 FXT and it fits great. I did have to trim the top of my engine cover. At one point I had the Perrin. It did not fit well and only stayed on a week.

Dave

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Get Tein coil overs and be done with it; adjustable ride height and damper settings and they aren't so stiff as to break your back or rattle your teeth loose :lol:

A lot of guys in Aus go for STi strut/springs. Slightly more drop than the WRX, but the stiffer springs apparently hold up slightly better in the rear.

·
Registered
2013 FXT 4EAT
101 Posts
I'm going to use the suspension from my 2010 STi because it is free and it's only sitting in my basement collecting dust. I was also worried about the rear upper control arms so I bought a used low mileage set from a wrecked 2013 WRX.

All the pictures of SHs on here with the STi suspension look awesome :)

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
I'm running 2013 legacy shocks with 10+ legacy swifts in front and stock lgt springs with 1" spacer in the rear and love it. I have a few posts around here including my journal.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^Interesting with the Legacy. I have an '11 Legacy 3.6 (my wife's car) and I wouldn't want a single piece of that suspension, that car drives like a caddy with blown struts. I know they updated the whole suspension for 2013, I wonder how much different the struts are....

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, so you Autralian guys have really taken the SH's to the next level from what I've seen. Poking around on your Ozfoz board I stumbled on people talking about Pedders springs (I had never heard of before). Anyone know anything about these:

Subaru R 220023 Coil
Subaru F 220022

Seems they've now set up shop in Detroit...

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
Yes, I've heard horrible things of the previous years but the 13's are pretty solid. No complaints, it's a bit stiffer than my 07 with swifts and sways. The SH still has some sway but that's probably due to crappy oe tires (I can't wait to ditch those pos') and stock sway bar. That's hopefully changing by spring time. Wife loves it and so do I. I kept the oe takeoffs just in case this didnt work out but I'm proud of my work. Lol

·
Registered
2010 Forester
50 Posts
You know what i've read about the pedders springs too.The OZ guys seem to like and if I'm not mistaken the drop is almost 2 inches. I checked their website (peddersUSA) and I believe its around $200
OK, so you Autralian guys have really taken the SH's to the next level from what I've seen. Poking around on your Ozfoz board I
Code:
stumbled on people talking about Pedders springs (I had never heard of before). Anyone know anything about these:

Subaru R 220023 Coil
Subaru F 220022

Seems they've now set up shop in Detroit...

·
Registered
2010 2.5XT AT
113 Posts
At the risk of clogging the board, I have to start a new thread. Might be time to separate by generations now that we have 4...

Got this new SH and its gotta come down. I would just do swifts and be done with it, but they just don't drop it quite far enough for me. I would do the WRX swap, but the springs will be too soft and I'm not ok with that control arm situation. I don't care if no one has recorded any problems.

If I do the WRX swap AND get some 1" spacers, will that avoid the control arm issue and get me to the height I want which is right in between the swifts and WRX?

Could I then get stiffer WRX springs which might lower it again and put in bigger spacers? Or does someone like King make a stiffer spring at stock height?
I'm running MY09 WRX sedan suspension with 1" spacers in the rear. Haven't experienced any upper control arm issues. I've only experienced tire rubbing when fully loading the car because I'm running an aggressive wheel and tire combo. Otherwise, its a comfortable setup.

I've checked the catalog for King Springs and there aren't any stock height WRX springs offered. I should try and email primitive and see if it is possible to order stock height WRX springs.

Best option would be to get Mann's coilovers, IMO. I don't want to spend that much on a suspension setup in which I won't be making use of its potential, but it seems like the most tried and trusted coilover out there. I know there are coilovers by RS&SP, but there isn't much information out there for them.

I am tempted to try a set of the Pedders rear lowering springs and putting them on. I'm hoping that it would leave it at the same height or a few mm's higher. Pedders does offer a coilover for our SH's, but its not on their US website. Depending on how much they are, they might be a decent option as well.

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
actually if you guys are familiar with mightycarmods Moog used the Pedders SportsRyder eXtreme XA Adjustable Coil Overs on his moogaru and it looks quite nice

http://www.pedders.com.au/PS_images/news/pdf/pdf_1340669867.pdf

A few guys in Aus do run the sportz ryder springs and quite like them. WRX take offs with Whiteline HD rear springs for WRX (Not a lowering, but a beefier spring) will work too are a reasonable price.
Pedders coil overs are a little overprice IMO.
Personally, I'm on Tein Advance coilies. Fantastic items.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts