Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after looking at all the options available for lowering my new to me SH, I wasn't happy with my options. I didn't like the thought of the WRX springs/struts which were a little too low, the too soft rear rate and possible control arm issues. I like the Swifts, but they just didn't go low enough for me. So I extended my search overseas.

I found a company in Australia called Pedders that makes SH specific lowering springs. A lot of guys in Australia were using them and they lowered the car 40mm, about 1.5" which to me was perfect. I contacted the Pedders USA distributor whom I never heard back from either by phone or email who apparently is not in business anymore. Long story short, I was able to purchase them from the UK distributor here: http://www.pedders.co.uk/files_subaru_forester. I think I'm the first one in the states to try these out and so far I'm very happy with my decision.

I had them installed two weeks ago and a loving them so far. I purchased 1/4 inch saggy butt spacers to have just in case, but after looking at pictures online, I decided not install them and don't think I need to. I still have to go back for an alignment, but so far I love them. The ride is still great and it really handles 1000x better than before. Visually it's the perfect drop for me, as low as I would dare go around here. There is no impact harshness at all. I'm very happy so far, was a little worried about the stock struts. But they seem to be fine. If anything the front struts might benefit from being a little stiffer.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was always afraid that this would be too aggressive for me. I'm sure the swift drop is that little for a reason, strut weakness possibly. Someone on the Ozzie forum pointed out that Subaru had increased strut stiffness since 2009 on the SH after I asked if I should buy some KYB's also. When I checked part numbers, he was right, they are different between '09 and '13.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently. The Aussies talked me out of buying KYB's and just using the stockers...at least the part numbers were different when I checked.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Glad to see that you went ahead and ordered them. That drop is a lot better than what I was seeing on the swifts.
I have everything else planned out but I have been stuck on what to do...contemplating coilovers or swifts to get that little extra drop. Will you post or PM where you ordered from?
Also, whiteline rsb, when did you buy it? Did come it with the black insert or did you swap out the yellow. I know they are changing to all black. I got mine in late December and it was yellow insert but I was happy to see that the locking collars came with it.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great Galager! Def more natural looking then OEM, which seems almost lifted. Perfect middle ground.

Do you do a lot of burnouts on your street there? haha.
Thanks! Funny how that looks, just wet marks from backing out of the driveway.

Glad to see that you went ahead and ordered them. That drop is a lot better than what I was seeing on the swifts.
I have everything else planned out but I have been stuck on what to do...contemplating coilovers or swifts to get that little extra drop. Will you post or PM where you ordered from?
Also, whiteline rsb, when did you buy it? Did come it with the black insert or did you swap out the yellow. I know they are changing to all black. I got mine in late December and it was yellow insert but I was happy to see that the locking collars came with it.
Briefly looked at coilovers, but I came to the conclusion that Mann and possibly Tein are the real deal and the rest of them are not as durable as a regular spring strut/shock setup. Rebuilds and tinkering are not what I want and Mann is way out of my price range. Bought the whiteline/kartboy setup in November or December. It came with the locking collars and black bushings. You've got a PM.

Looks great, glad you could find the drop you were looking for :icon_cool:
Thank you!

·
Banned
162 Posts
What kind of camber numbers are you looking at? Is it a one or two finger gap? It looks to be about three to four finger gap. Damn, this has me seriously considering ditching the wrx suspension and putting my sh suspension back on with these pedders springs.

Sent from my mind using ninjutsu telepathy

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great! Do you know the spring rates?

40mm is the same as the Tein High Tech. I would assume they run along the same rates.
I really have no clue. I didn't find out the Tein's existed until after I had ordered these.

Looks great, just how it should be.
Thanks!

What kind of camber numbers are you looking at? Is it a one or two finger gap? It looks to be about three to four finger gap. Damn, this has me seriously considering ditching the wrx suspension and putting my sh suspension back on with these pedders springs.

Don't know about camber yet. Was giving the suspension 4-500 miles before I got an alignment.

·
Banned
162 Posts
I really have no clue. I didn't find out the Tein's existed until after I had ordered these.

Thanks!

Don't know about camber yet. Was giving the suspension 4-500 miles before I got an alignment.

Keep us posted. You've got what a two or, three finger gap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been looking to buy these ever since i saw:

Really good mod show.

If you could post which site you bought them from that would be awesome!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A bunch of people have asked where I ordered from. Not sure I got back to everyone, but I have added the link to the UK Forester distributor in my first post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was looking at that site before.
Now that I know that they're reliable I'm gonna go for it.

How do you like the springs and ride height so far?
Any issues you've noticed?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
About this Discussion
146 Replies
30 Participants
trajik78
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing