Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru make a good, long lasting car. So why the heck do they make great exhaust systems interspersed with flanged joints mode of swiss cheese?

No, not really complaining. But five salted winters and 130k miles had eaten their way through the joints attaching both rear mufflers.

So an excuse to upgrade!

Full stainless, custom made by local builder Dee's Exhausts. The straight-through boxes are no louder than stock when cruising (good) and the Diesel now has Burble at idle (even better!).

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
So you don't want my OE exhaust (removed at 7000ml), that I've had tucked away, saving it just for you :icon_frown:

Looks good. Did you increase the pipe dia. at all ?.

PS: what tyres are you using ?.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 1/4" piping (same as midpipe) and the boxes are 2" bore.

What's realy odd is how much more rumbly it is during a regen. Afterburner effect, LOL.

Tyres are Marix MPC winter remoulds. Very good in the cold and wet, didn't see snow this year sadly. About -3 mpg on them tho...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
894 Posts
Nice tyres. Even nicer exhaust.

Given your salting how is the vehicle holding up to rust, esp. underbody/guards? Salting only occurs here in Oz when you drive to/on the beach!

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Discolouration of fasteners and some suspension components, nothing really "rusty" per se. But the exhust flanges had turned into something not unlike flakey pastry...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
894 Posts
Discolouration of fasteners and some suspension components, nothing really "rusty" per se.
Bodes well.

But the exhust flanges had turned into something not unlike flakey pastry...
Not having my vehicle to look at currently (wife at work), could it be an anodic/catalytic corrosion caused by two different metals, or even differently grounded metals, in contact? E.g. mild steel held together with bolts of a different material/grade. Could a protective coating have been worn off?

I have noticed even our exhaust in Oz looks a bit rusty-reddish.

Even worse when things decide to either corrode together or cold weld/gall themselves together- stainless can be problematic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts