Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More description:

When I accelerate, the engine will make a rattling noise for the initial portion of the acceleration, then stop until I shift into the next higher gear. The noise is present with initial acceleration in all gears (I haven't heard it when decelerating, then accelerating).

Is this "lifter tap"? Is it a "live with" or "immediately remedy at the dealer"?

Thanks for any advice in advance. I've got some interior rattles that I wanted to have resolved, but was waiting for something else more pressing.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had the re-flash done yet ? If so maybe a better grade of gasoline ?
I tried to search for "re-flash", but didn't come up with anything useful. Can you point me to what that is, or describe it if it's not too painful?

The NA should run just fine on a standard grade of fuel, no? I would have had second thoughts about buying this car if it couldn't drink regular unleaded.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
When you say rattling noise it makes me think that it could be something as simple as a loose exhaust heatshield.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say rattling noise it makes me think that it could be something as simple as a loose exhaust heatshield.
No...it's not that. Unless the car was flashed prior to sales, it has not yet been done. I think I'll take it in and show them the recall # and see what they say. There are a few other problems I'd like them to look at anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I discovered it, maybe (many years later now!). When I replaced the two belts in the front, the rattling is significantly reduced. It's the pulley or something else attached to the belts I'm convinced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts