Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new Swift springs in and much better tires and the ride is better for sure.
I will be adding at least a larger rear sway bar and perhaps front and rear.

I don't want to go all out stiff but do want to make the car responsive.

Having said that, I still feel some rubbery/jittery ride qualities that must go. It feels like strategic bushings are needed. I am hesitant to just throw everything at is since some like trans and Exhaust rubber can really increase the NVH and I want this car to be mellow in that respect.

It looks like steering rack would be good? Has anyone played with the bushings yet and have some feel for if any improvement and how much NVH you pay for the improvements?

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
I know you said from one of your other posts that you had a bad experience with NVH in your past Fozz but the rear end bushings for our cars are so worth it. I ran the Cusco engine and tranny mounts and those added NVH but it was sooo worth it. I never really had much from lets say the rear diff bushings or the rear subframe and lock down bushings. I think those would be safer and less NVH compared to ALK and front control arm bushings. The rear end on our cars have a lot of slop and that's also why I would start there. Please check out Powerflex bushings when you get a chance they are soo cool. Otherwise Whiteline does the whole car in bushings. Have fun and enjoy your new springs.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raptr, I really did not have a bad experience. I just got exactly what I asked for. I did all the shifter/trans bushings and mounts and they worked awesome. They did however add NVH. My KB exhaust hangers did too. Again, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I will check out the Powerflex bushings. Mann Engineering (Swift spring fame) working on his own set of problem solvers too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Thanks Raptr, I really did not have a bad experience. I just got exactly what I asked for. I did all the shifter/trans bushings and mounts and they worked awesome. They did however add NVH. My KB exhaust hangers did too. Again, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I will check out the Powerflex bushings. Mann Engineering (Swift spring fame) working on his own set of problem solvers too.

Thanks!
Mann Engineering is just down the street from me and I've met the owner before. I pass on to him that you are liking the springs.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow Powerflex has a ton of different bushings. Where to start...

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look hard at these. Looks like I will need to spend time trying to understand what they have.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raptr,

What is your impression of your car with STI suspension. I have yet to drive a new STI to get a feeling.

I did a bit of driving today with my Swifts and Conti extreme DW 235/50/17. No bars yet.

So far the car is still way to much wallow. My best description is that it feels disjoint in a Chevy Tahoe kind of way. Compared to Swifts and the SG it is no contest in that the SG had a tighter feel with similar change.

So I wonder if you still get this with your more aggressive setup? It is very hard to pinpoint but I wonder if bushings and or chassis bracing would help. Different bars and springs will reduce some of it but it is not the total answer.

I feel like hitting small road irregularities sends it into gyrations.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Raptr,

What is your impression of your car with STI suspension. I have yet to drive a new STI to get a feeling.

I did a bit of driving today with my Swifts and Conti extreme DW 235/50/17. No bars yet.

So far the car is still way to much wallow. My best description is that it feels disjoint in a Chevy Tahoe kind of way. Compared to Swifts and the SG it is no contest in that the SG had a tighter feel with similar change.

So I wonder if you still get this with your more aggressive setup? It is very hard to pinpoint but I wonder if bushings and or chassis bracing would help. Different bars and springs will reduce some of it but it is not the total answer.

I feel like hitting small road irregularities sends it into gyrations.

Any thoughts?
I know how you feel. Yes, the STi struts and springs are so worth it. The first reason why is that you are approxe 5" lower than stock. Everything feels more planted and it aids in the ability to control body roll. It also helps that I run 245s but most of all the credit goes to the struts and springs. Sway bars will help you too if you don't want to be that low. I just picked up a set of STi sway bars and I can't wait to try them out. I read a post saying that our SH's have the same size sways as the STi but that is bogus. Our rear sway bar is 16mm, the STi is 18mm. Now, the fronts might be the same size but i really haven't had a chance to measure but if they are not the same size up front, they are smaller by like 1mm. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I put a micrometer on my sways and get just 21mm front and 16mm rear. I am (maybe anyway) waiting until next month for the release of the new 19mm STI bar used in the 2010 SE and 2011 STI. Since front and rear may be needed on this car I might go for after market since the STI front seems the same however.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT 6spd/8spd/Many Gears CVT
1,532 Posts
We deal with both Powerflex and Whiteline in terms of bushings and ALK kits. We use Whiteline in certain places and we use PowerFlex in certain places. Some have somethings that are better than the other. We have been testing out which bushings to recommend in which places and recommending quite a few bushing replacements in certain places. We feel that these are some of the first that should be replaced because it takes a lot of the slop out of the factory setup and are definitely needed for more crispy handling.

Yes, we do like a lot of the Powerflex products as well as the Whiteline products as well.

We have been selling staged suspension packages for the Impreza owners and are working on Forester stages as well. We are working on quite a few new things for Forester owners.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well hurry up already :woohoo:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts