Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I wanted to know the biggest diameter tire I could put on the SH and this is what I found.
The stock Geolanders are 26.8"
I had a spare 235/75/15 Goodyear tire/wheel combo and mocked that up in the rear well. It fit with about an inch more in the rear part of the well and about half inch in the front part of the rear well to where it hits that plastic liner. That diameter is about 28.9"

With the plastic wheel well liner you could probably fit any size tire below 29"...saying that, some tires dont measure the same size in a different brand.

Then I took off the plastic rear wheel liner and that big obstruction in the front loosely covers a pinch weld of the car. You could easily take a hammer and bend that up and fit say a 30" tire in the rear well.

I understand the fronts pose another challenge. The strut/spring combo will come into contact with a taller/wider tire depending on your wheel offset.

So in conclusion, 30" is probably going to be the largest diameter tire to fit in the well. Just by design you cant go any larger without some major metal work. Just be sure you take into consideration a lift wont do anthing about the biggest tire size selection. I just wont fit.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
58 Posts
I went to the tire store recently, and bought some big tires. Not as big as those, but similar, 225/70 R16. they fit well, but i want them in the grabber at2's. oh well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
~28.7" is about that for your size...no problems in the front? how much strut clearance? Thanks for the post

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
58 Posts
The only rubbing is from one piece of plastic that is bent. It's the driver rear wheel well on the rear side of the well (it keeps junk out of the bumper).
There is just barely less than 1/2" clearance on the strut. Also flexed out it keeps tucked in and not rubbing anywhere.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
The only rubbing is from one piece of plastic that is bent. It's the driver rear wheel well on the rear side of the well (it keeps junk out of the bumper).
There is just barely less than 1/2" clearance on the strut. Also flexed out it keeps tucked in and not rubbing anywhere.
Do you have some photos of your car with these tires on? :cool:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
58 Posts
Here are a few along with some offroad pics to give an idea. In the third picture, the front tire you can see is just barely off of the ground (sway bar on). I dont think there is much more flex though with it off. The rear is as far in as it usually goes, but it still has some travel. I want to get some softer springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Thread Resurrection...

Found this thread in a search result, resurrecting...

I'm tired of looking at my '09 (SH) in the parking lot sporting tires the same size as on the compact passenger cars around it. I'm thinking of putting on 225/70-16's. There is a chance I might go with 17's but I kind of like the plain jane utilitarian look of the wheel covers. But I want the deeper sidewalls and slightly wider tread width of a larger size tire. My only concern is accumulation of snow or mud in the areas of tight clearance between the fender skirts and the bigger tires. Anyone with larger tires had a problem with snow clogging the wheel wells up? Also, since the larger diameter changes the final drive ratio, does it make your car feel boggy or sluggish in acceleration?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
Also, since the larger diameter changes the final drive ratio, does it make your car feel boggy or sluggish in acceleration?
I would like to know this too. Thinking if going either 225/65/16 or 215/70/16. I find myself almost trying to shift into 6th gear (reverse) looking for just a bit of a higher gear. But I know first gear will suffer with oversize tires. Also less pulling power over mountain passes. Might have to use 4th and slow down.
Extra weight of tires might wear faster on suspension and bearings....
Anyone have opinions on this?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I don't know of anyone, but maybe someone will chime in. I ended up going with 225/60VR17, Nokian WRG2 tires with new alloy rims from Tirerack. My '09 originally had the 16" steel wheels with plastic wheel covers, so the new combo (as seen in my avatar and gallery) was a huge improvement in appearance. If you browse pg 2 and 3 of my gallery you will find some photos I took of the clearance for the 225/60-17's vs the front strut and the rear inner fender liner, as well as how it fit in the spare well under the rear cargo floor. I used coins to show the clearances in the fender wells. I don't see running a much larger tire and having eough clearance for snow build-up or mud build up to not start interfering too much.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
978 Posts
Yes, I saw all of your clearance pictures. Thanks so much!
What I'm planning on doing is buying a new factory 17" wheel for a spare and then buying one 235/60r17 cooper tire and test fitting it on each corner. I have access to a lift and tire machine so it's no big deal. If the tire doesn't work, I'll probably sell the tire at a loss and get a set of geolandar ats in 225/60r17.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sport 5 MT
213 Posts
I run Geolandar AT-S 225/65/17 on my SG. I can ride atv trails now with no bottoming out. Super tight spring perch clearance though and i had to beat down the pinch welds. Some minor rubbing.

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Touring Automatic
71 Posts
how wide can we go

Anyone happen to know about tire width? I wanted to go a little wider than the stock 225 but not sure what my SH can handle. thanks

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT
40 Posts
Well I got the 235/60R17s on the car. 6000 miles on them, so far so good. They were listed as 28.3". Cooper Discoverer AT3, no trimming required.
I am in the market to replace all 4 tires on my 2012 XT.
I have been browsing for tires and the tires that I found here in Indonesia is a Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697 in 225/65/17.
Inquiring for 235/60/17 but they don't produce that size.
And Cooper tires are not sold here =(
Can You please help post picture of your car, and Do You think I can go without trimming with 225/65/17 Bridgestone D697?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts