Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 FXT TTT 5MT
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My OEM battery is on the way out with the cold weather here, what brands (together with model numbers) can people recommend.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
I just went to local parts store. They offered two batterys from the brand they carried. I picked the one with the higher cranking amps. Works good.

·
Vendor
2017 Camaro SS 6spd Manual
915 Posts
I am a big fan of Optima.

I have a RedTop in my Mustang and it's never let me down. My car is not garaged and is outside in very cold temperatures also

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,717 Posts
Go with OEM its actually a very good battery. I have put the original from my 08 into my -01 Nissan. I replaced the one in the Subaru with another Subaru battery. I expect it to go another 100K miles.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Hello,

My OEM battery is on the way out with the cold weather here, what brands (together with model numbers) can people recommend.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott,

You appear to be located in Stockholm, Sweden. Are you looking for recommendations for locally available battery brands and models, or for somewhere else?

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 FXT TTT 5MT
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott,

You appear to be located in Stockholm, Sweden. Are you looking for recommendations for locally available battery brands and models, or for somewhere else?

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Hi Jim,

Whatever people recommend as we can get most things here. I've already tracked down a local supplier of Optima batteries for example.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
OK. I'm not a fan of Optima batteries, so I'll pass on them.

Considering your location, I'd probably look into the largest-size (highest CCA) local name-brand battery I could find. In case of a warranty claim, this would hopefully make for quickly finding a fresh (recent manufacture date) replacement.

Varta?

HTH, and best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
OK. I'm not a fan of Optima batteries, so I'll pass on them.
Same here, have had too many fail on me in the past few years. Quality went downhill when they moved production to Mexico for the ones sold here in North America, but I suppose it could be different for European countries.

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
Ive had a red top for 2 yrs that seems ok but it was a gift (sort of). A buddy with a corvette has replaced his red top under warranty 2 times in the last 1.5 yrs. Quality seems very iffy on them.

·
Registered
2009 FXT TTT 5MT
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the replies everyone. It looks like "largest-size (highest CCA) local name-brand battery" seems to be the way forward.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Happy hunting! I'll be interested in knowing what you decide to install.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
Indeed im interested also. I will have to buy a new battery come next winter as mine is losing itself

·
Registered
2009 FXT TTT 5MT
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with a Varta D47 Blue Dynamic battery in the end. Nothing special but was the more powerful of the ones guaranteed to fit the XT.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The 540 CCA spec looks good!

Thanks for the info, and best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
MY07 Forester 2.0X, 2.5XT 5M, 4EAT
333 Posts
Bosch, Varta, Exide- you won't get it wrong with these...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts