Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So are there any Forester specific coilover options that are available for 2009+ Forester's? Or is everybody only coilovers using ones designed for '08+ WRX's?

·
Registered
35 Posts
But honestly, why not to choose a big name like Tein or STI from JDM yard ?
That droped Forester looks cool , but why buying a SUV if you want to drop the ground clearance like a sedan ... or lower
... don't see the point , you better buy a WRX or STI instead ... my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
2004 XS
43 Posts
But honestly, why not to choose a big name like Tein or STI from JDM yard ?
That droped Forester looks cool , but why buying a SUV if you want to drop the ground clearance like a sedan ... or lower

Im not sure about there but here, every second car is either a WRX or a STi. the rest are Skylines.GTR's

I like being in a minority. plus I like it

Mark.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Just a FYI any 08-10 WRX coilover will fit the Fozz just be ready to deal with a lot of rear negative camber when you slam the hell out of it.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually already had both.....a WRX wagon and an STi. We bought the Forester because the wife and I just had another baby and needed a little more cargo room and the ease of getting in and out of the back seat. I think you can have the best of both worlds, if the car is set up properly.

Just a FYI any 08-10 WRX coilover will fit the Fozz just be ready to deal with a lot of rear negative camber when you slam the hell out of it.
I actually dropped some cash on some Cusco Zero 2e's suited for a '08+ WRX. I've also heard, like you mentioned, that these will work. I was just curious also if I'd gain anything from going with a Forester "specific" coilover. I'd assume more strut travel, so that's the only reason I was wondering. The Cusco's got posted for sale on Nasioc. If I find a buyer.....coool. If not, they'll get installed later this month.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
I actually already had both.....a WRX wagon and an STi. We bought the Forester because the wife and I just had another baby and needed a little more cargo room and the ease of getting in and out of the back seat. I think you can have the best of both worlds, if the car is set up properly.

I actually dropped some cash on some Cusco Zero 2e's suited for a '08+ WRX. I've also heard, like you mentioned, that these will work. I was just curious also if I'd gain anything from going with a Forester "specific" coilover. I'd assume more strut travel, so that's the only reason I was wondering. The Cusco's got posted for sale on Nasioc. If I find a buyer.....coool. If not, they'll get installed later this month.

The only thing I warn about buying used coilovers is the possibility of you having to rebuild them. The last two sets that my buddy bought that were used needed to be re-valved and balanced. Hopefully they are close to brand-new? Good choice on the brand. Cusco stuff is good quality. As for strut travel, Forester coilovers are designed for Forester ride heights. In my situation, I'm so low that I need a coilover more proportion to a lowered vehicle. If you plan on slamming the Fozz then WRX coilovers is the way to go.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only thing I warn about buying used coilovers is the possibility of you having to rebuild them. The last two sets that my buddy bought that were used needed to be re-valved and balanced. Hopefully they are close to brand-new? Good choice on the brand. Cusco stuff is good quality. As for strut travel, Forester coilovers are designed for Forester ride heights. In my situation, I'm so low that I need a coilover more proportion to a lowered vehicle. If you plan on slamming the Fozz then WRX coilovers is the way to go.
Actually, the Cusco's are brand new, never been used. Makes sense what you said though about the ride height too. I plan on going much lower than the STi spring set up I'm on right now. I'm assuming since the WRX strut length is much shorter, I can still keep the appropriate travel and still get a low drop. We'll see when I throw these on with my new wheel/tire set up.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Actually, the Cusco's are brand new, never been used. Makes sense what you said though about the ride height too. I plan on going much lower than the STi spring set up I'm on right now. I'm assuming since the WRX strut length is much shorter, I can still keep the appropriate travel and still get a low drop. We'll see when I throw these on with my new wheel/tire set up.
Sweet!! Brand new Cuscos FTW! What you'll find out is that the rear negative camber is non adjustable unless you get those whiteline rear control arm bushings. I also had to roll my fenders to fit my wheel set but you might be able to get away with it.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet!! Brand new Cuscos FTW! What you'll find out is that the rear negative camber is non adjustable unless you get those whiteline rear control arm bushings. I also had to roll my fenders to fit my wheel set but you might be able to get away with it.
Yeah, I was actually looking into the Powerflex ones. A lot of people said they're much easier to adjust than the Whiteline ones. I'm also swapping in a new wheel/tire set up soon too. The wheels have a higher offset and I'm going with a shorter tire too. I think I should be ok with rubbing issues since the coilover ride will be much firmer than the spring set up

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Yeah, I was actually looking into the Powerflex ones. A lot of people said they're much easier to adjust than the Whiteline ones. I'm also swapping in a new wheel/tire set up soon too. The wheels have a higher offset and I'm going with a shorter tire too. I think I should be ok with rubbing issues since the coilover ride will be much firmer than the spring set up
Could you send me a link to the Powerflex ones? I haven't seen those yet.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Yup, thanks for posting the link. They've seemed to get pretty good reviews too.
They look really nice and I like the purple color instead of the Whiteline yellow. I also went to Powerflex's website and they have every GR chassis bushing you can think of. Hopefully I can find a closer vendor with better pricing. I love that they make a special tool for every adjustable bushing. That makes it really easy to adjust.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They look really nice and I like the purple color instead of the Whiteline yellow. I also went to Powerflex's website and they have every GR chassis bushing you can think of. Hopefully I can find a closer vendor with better pricing. I love that they make a special tool for every adjustable bushing. That makes it really easy to adjust.
As for pricing, not too sure if you'll be able to find them much cheaper. You can try and check TiC carries them as well, and they offer free shipping. Might save you a few bucks. Once I test fit my new wheel/tire set up, I'll see if I need these or not. If I have to choose though, I'd get the Powerflex ones over the Whiteline too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts