Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 JDM STi SG9
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MY06 STi Forester's new 245/45/18 tyres are rubbing a little bit on the rear left side. The right side seems fine and I do have rear sub frame lock bolts fitted. A touch more camber might fix this rubbing without rolling the guards but genuine Subaru front camber bolts won't fit thru the hub as the holes too narrow. And I think i tried Whiteline 14mm bolts too when i installed my TEIN coilovers. The Whiteline 14mm bolts used to fit on my previous XT.

Has anyone increased their FSTi rear camber with maybe 12mm camber bolts or adjustable strut tops?

I'd be interested in other peoples FSTi alignment settings too, if you would like to share.

thanks

·
Registered
Forester XT MY07
24 Posts
i have -2 camber on the rear of my sg9

my rear guard is lowered level with the top of the rear tyre and in doing that it's created -1 camber and to get the -2 i loosened the hub bolts and pushed the top of the hub in a little but (there is a little bit of play, i dunno if it's coz of the tein's hub bolt holes are a little bit bigger then the hub bolt holes)

even with -2 camber my rear passenger (i have a RHD foz) still scrubs but where is it scrubbin is where the mud flap runs up the rear guard a bit and in hard cornering it'll rub on the top of the wheel well

are your rear guard's rolled????

Damo

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
You talking about rubbing on the fender or the suspension ? I don't have an STi but I do have wide rubber and coilovers on my XT. I'm going to run 275's next year at the track and did some test fitting this fall. I will have to use the camber bolts set to full positive to pull the tire away from the strut body. I run camber plates on top of my struts so I'll regain negative camber using the plates.

buddo_007 - Does your suspension have play with the strut bolts tightened ? If so, that's a bad thing as your geometry is going to change with every bump.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Have I come into the wrong forum by mistake..? Could have sworn this was the European forum at one point :biggrin:

I think TEIN do some bolts to get extra camber if you haven't found them already.

Any reason you're running 245s as opposed to the standard 225s...?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Whitleine do rear camber bolts as do many many others...

Not sure I see the point of such wide rear rubber anyway, and then adding camber as well is just a recipe for increasing understeer!

Simon

·
Registered
2005 JDM STi SG9
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have I come into the wrong forum by mistake..? Could have sworn this was the European forum at one point :biggrin:

I think TEIN do some bolts to get extra camber if you haven't found them already.

Any reason you're running 245s as opposed to the standard 225s...?
:icon_biggrin: Yeah man I know its the European Forum, and it was placed here in hope to get a response from other FSTI owners who have added camber, thats why the title says "SG9 STi needs more rear camber". My car has different hubs to the XT.

245s were used so they fit on my 8.5" rims without being stretched. And as a bit of an experiment to see if they could be made to work. And 245/45/18 fill up the guard nicely. And it make my speedo almost perfect as its larger rolling diameter to stock.

Has anyone increased their FSTi rear camber with maybe 12mm camber bolts or adjustable strut tops?

I'd be interested in other peoples FSTi alignment settings too, if you would like to share.

thanks
Whitleine do rear camber bolts as do many many others...

Not sure I see the point of such wide rear rubber anyway, and then adding camber as well is just a recipe for increasing understeer!

Simon
I've tried Whiteline 14mm camber bolts and Subaru camber bolts as said in the original post. (sorry I'm not trying to be a smart)

...."a recipe for increasing understeer!"

Can't this be adjusted thru swaybars tho? I've changed my front and rear sways.

Sorry I forgot to added in the original post that they rub on the guard and only on decent size bumps.

Rims 18x8.5 +44 Offset

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
XT666;697877 245s were used so they fit on my 8.5" rims without being stretched. And as a bit of an experiment to see if they could be made to work. And 245/45/18 fill up the guard nicely. [B said:
And it make my speedo almost perfect as its larger rolling diameter to stock.[/B]
Everyone's welcome here :biggrin: ..... as long as they play nicely :Banane02:

Surely having a larger rolling diameter would make the speedo even further out...?
Mine reads about 6-7% over GPS speed with standard 18s (225/45/18), which I assume is due to the electronics being originally set up for 17s or 16s.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Whiteline do indeed do 14mm camber bolts, but also the smallers ones needed for the rear, funnily enough all listed in their fine catalogue which is free from the website.

You can indeed adjust under/oversteer balance via the sway bars or spring rates or even dampers, but the only way to counter the worst factor (roll understeer) is to loose grip in roll at the back, the best way to do that is by allowing the wheel to go into +ve camber in roll.

Simon

·
Registered
2005 JDM STi SG9
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm feeling some hostility here, not sure why. I've seen other posts re SG9 STi info requests in the Europe forum in the past but I won't do it again.

Yes I did check the Whiteline catalogue. They only list 14mm camber bolts for Subarus and don't list SG9 STi Foresters at all. I'll take the upper rear strut bolt out again and do some measuring.

"roll understeer" Hmmm. The more I learn, the more I realise I have much more to learn. Are you saying I should have stuck with 225 tyres or to be careful not to have too much neg camber on the rear? Thanks for this caution. :Banane35:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
^^ The ONLY camber bolts worth using IMO are the H&R ones. I've tried the rest, they barely do anything. The cam on them looks very close to OEM. The H&R come with nice beefy hardware as well.

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
977 Posts
Everyone's welcome here :biggrin: ..... as long as they play nicely :Banane02:

Surely having a larger rolling diameter would make the speedo even further out...?
Mine reads about 6-7% over GPS speed with standard 18s (225/45/18), which I assume is due to the electronics being originally set up for 17s or 16s.
Larger size means the wheel goes round more slowly for the same distance on the road, so speedo reads lower. Since they invariably read high then that tends to bring it nearer the true speed.

I believe the speedo reads high because they are not allowed to read low, so the manufacturer generally allows a generous margin over the true speed to ensure it is still not low even with natural variability of components.

·
Registered
2006 Forester STi
157 Posts
Have you had the car aligned since fitting the Tein's and subframe kit?

If so can you post up the spec?

Here's what I've got mine aligned to on BC Coilovers and Eibach Camber bolts in the rear.

Camber

Left Front = -1 degree 11
Right front = -1 degree 04
Left Rear = -1 degree 09
Right Rear = -1 degree 03

Caster

Left Front = +4 degree 57
Right Front = +4 degree 40

Front and rear toe as close to 0 as possible,same with the Thrust angle

Pete

·
Registered
2005 JDM STi SG9
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
XT666
....What makes you say that? AFAIK all the Forester hubs are the same...
I think I was wrong about that now. I stupidly assumed that as Genuine Subaru Front camber bolts would not fit in the rear then no 14mm camber bolts would. :icon_redface: Sorry.

Thanks for that link too!

^^ The ONLY camber bolts worth using IMO are the H&R ones. I've tried the rest, they barely do anything. The cam on them looks very close to OEM. The H&R come with nice beefy hardware as well.
Thanks, I am trying to get some H&R camber bolts now. I may have to import them as they are proving difficult to find here.

....Have you had the car aligned since fitting the Tein's and subframe kit?

If so can you post up the spec?.....
Pete
Thanks Pete. Yes I had an alignment done after the coilover install. Without rear camber bolts my Settings are currently:

Front.
Total Toe +1.0mm
Camber Left -0.79*
Camber Right -0.65*
Caster L +3.50*
Caster R +3.52*
Set Back -00.06*

REAR.
Total Toe +2.9mm
Camber Left -1.99*
Camber Right -1.96*
Set Back +0.11*
Thrust Angle -0.01*
Track Difference -0.09*

·
Registered
2006 Forester STi
157 Posts
How much have you lowered it by?

You get negative camber when you lower a car and if you've lowered it too much,that could be your problem.

Have a look at this thread for ride heights etc

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/what-your-ride-height-6439/

I'd look to have your rear camber set to between -1 and -1.5 and go for zero toe,I'd do the same for the front as well

your tyres should also last a lot longer!

That'd be very similar to what I'm running and tyre wear across the width of my tyres is ok,only slightly more on the inside than the outside.

Pete

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts
XT666,

Nice journal by the way.....

You put your other interest to great effect.

Don

·
Registered
2005 JDM STi SG9
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much have you lowered it by?

You get negative camber when you lower a car and if you've lowered it too much,that could be your problem.

Have a look at this thread for ride heights etc

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/what-your-ride-height-6439/

I'd look to have your rear camber set to between -1 and -1.5 and go for zero toe,I'd do the same for the front as well

your tyres should also last a lot longer!

That'd be very similar to what I'm running and tyre wear across the width of my tyres is ok,only slightly more on the inside than the outside.

Pete
Cheers Pete. I think that's good advice. My rear guard to centre of wheel hub is approx 355mm. So combined with the relatively high sidewall of a 245/45 tyre there not much clearance between guard and tyre.

I just did some new measuring too. I put a straight edge between rear guard and lower edge of rim then measured the distance between this straight edge and the top of the rim. On the LH side the wheel leans inwards 3mm less than on the RH side. Maybe the Camber has slipped on the LH side causing the tyre to foul on guard? So I will have a chat to the alignment shop today to get there thoughts.

In hindsight I think I should have bought narrower rims and tyres.

XT666,

Nice journal by the way.....

You put your other interest to great effect.

Don
Thanks Don. I've been taking lots of new photos lately too so I'll be sharing them soon too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts