Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT MT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have amassed all of the required bits to swap my front fascia over to a Forester STI. I have the foam, the beam, surrounds, grill, bumper, covers, etc...but I am not able to find a write up of it. I have looked around, but no luck. Does anyone know where I can find a step by step on this?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
815 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual 5sp.
1,662 Posts
A few quick notes. I did not do the new foam, new bumper beam, etc.

A little pressure has it fitting almost 100%. Just remove the 5mph foam bumper, and you'll be a-okay for fitment, except...

... on the driver's side, I needed to cut part of the inside of the bumper (which hides behind the fog light covers anyway, so you never notice it) so that the bumper would slide all the way into place. The piece I cut was hitting a fog light mount that is welded to either the USDM bumper beam or the radiator support. Anyway, 1 minute with tin snips cut the plastic, and I was right as rain.

Everything else takes a little bit of elbow grease, but otherwise it'll fit just fine.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT MT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome...I got the bumper beam, the foam, the wheel wells, etc. I will look through the writeup and see what else I need.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT MT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask and shall receive!!!
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f80/sti-bumper-install-lessons-learned-52829/

Mine is coming back from paint tomorrow and will be installed shortly.

Since you have all those other pieces, you will just be unbolting other things and replacing.. Nice to see you doing it the right way rather just adapting like mine lol someday maybe ill get new mudguards and the jdm beam.
But wait...this link doesnt show the unbolt for the bumper beam or anything...and I think this was an SG9 to a SG5 STI. I was hoping to get an SG5 USDM to SG5 JDM STI writeup...you guys think that exists?

·
Registered
2004 forester xt at
81 Posts
same here i want to go with the sti front end

im also wiondering the part need for that do i need to change the headlight and buy light extender?
do i have to change to bumper at all cost bcuz here where i live i cannot use a too much lowered ride we have such a big hole on our street : (

so i was thinking of using front lips insteed, anything else we need to kjnow before going into this modification?

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
A few quick notes. I did not do the new foam, new bumper beam, etc.

A little pressure has it fitting almost 100%. Just remove the 5mph foam bumper, and you'll be a-okay for fitment, except...

... on the driver's side, I needed to cut part of the inside of the bumper (which hides behind the fog light covers anyway, so you never notice it) so that the bumper would slide all the way into place. The piece I cut was hitting a fog light mount that is welded to either the USDM bumper beam or the radiator support. Anyway, 1 minute with tin snips cut the plastic, and I was right as rain.

Everything else takes a little bit of elbow grease, but otherwise it'll fit just fine.
Anyone interested in a JDM Front Bumper Beam and JDM Foam...hit us up! We have (1) set left in stock as well as many JDM front ends (grilles, bumpers, headlight surrounds, hids, etc).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT MT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone interested in a JDM Front Bumper Beam and JDM Foam...hit us up! We have (1) set left in stock as well as many JDM front ends (grilles, bumpers, headlight surrounds, hids, etc).
Thanks for the heads up. I know someone who isn't interested in buying anything, but was looking for a heads up about the install. I appreciate the bump though.

To anyone that was concerned...I finished the install. It was much easier than I expected. There were a couple of setbacks, mainly that I did a headlight swap at the same time and the housings I was installing had different size clip holes. Also, the HID solenoid is getting stuck so I've had to remove them to get them adjusted. Other than that whole thing was like a 2 hour dealy.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual 5sp.
1,662 Posts
Bumper beam is 6 bolts (four on top - two on each side / two on bottom - one on each side). They are either 14mm or 17mm. Can't remember.

The lower bumper beam is removed via 4 bolts that are super easy to access once you remove the entire beam. I believe those are 14mm.

The center hole in the middle/top of the bumper (under the grill) uses a pop-clip just fine. But the side holes don't line up, so I used zip-ties. Two large ones on each size. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Thanks man...I'm all done with it now....

That is fantastic looking. :rock: I remember when I still had the 04 FXT I wanted to do the same thing, but I just couldn't pull the trigger due to shipping and handling from Japan parts...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT MT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw two sets for $2,200 each on eBay.

I remember you!! I was following your bumper mods on your thread for a while. Glad it worked out for you.

I think my next cosmetic step is going to be going with a 3M matte blue metallic wrap. I have the headlights out getting them adjusted right now, but once everything is in, I might have to make a move.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I saw two sets for $2,200 each on eBay.
Be careful of the ebay parts. The guy selling them is based in Florida & Canada (same company) and when they ship, they are not protected very well. Just slapped on a pallet with shrink wrap over them. The banding straps they use will damage, warp, and scuff up the parts. Trust us!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
36 Posts
Anyone know if the USDM fenders on our forester XTs will work on the JDM STI front clip? I have a chance to buy a front clip, skirts, rear bumper, and headlight switch, MINUS THE FENDERS. Also what would be a reasonable rate?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts