Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have done a thorough search and read liternally hundereds of posts, but cannot find the definitive answer for an SG!!

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please?

My 2006 2.5XT has a saggy nearside - yep, the SLS has given up and the MOT is due in 3 weeks!!!

I have ruled out replacing with SL (£££'s), so am wondring:

1. The KYB online catalogue (link from the stick post) has shocks for the SG listed, but no springs. Can i use any springs (non-SLS) for the forester / impreza wagon?

2. I would prefer to change to impreza WRX or STI struts / springs and tophats. I cannot find any info on fitment. Will ANY 2001 -> fit, or does it HAVE to be wagon / 2006 ->

Appreciate any help / guidance (or anyone selling the bits to help!!??). :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

J.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
The way those SLS struts last give out so early, I wonder if there is a case to be made that the product is not fit for sale. They seem to last 2-4 years, which makes them a wear item in my book, but they are certainly NOT priced appropriately for a wear item! I had mine replaced while still under warranty, fortunately!

Edit: er, sorry not to add any info that you are looking for, J. But in your position I would tempted to try an angry letter to Subaru UK, up in arms that you are having to shell out £xxxx for new struts on a 4 y.o. car.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way those SLS struts last give out so early, I wonder if there is a case to be made that the product is not fit for sale. They seem to last 2-4 years, which makes them a wear item in my book, but they are certainly NOT priced appropriately for a wear item! I had mine replaced while still under warranty, fortunately!

Edit: er, sorry not to add any info that you are looking for, J. But in your position I would tempted to try an angry letter to Subaru UK, up in arms that you are having to shell out £xxxx for new struts on a 4 y.o. car.

-- Steve
She is only 4 years old, but has covered 78k miles!! So, i dont think that is too bad really :biggrin:

Can anyone help please? I am really struggling to understand my options. :shrug:

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
WRX fitment.....
Saloon struts from 01MY onwards, and wagon springs to suite (noting change in rear spring style at 05MY).

Breaker takeoffs...

I can't see why SF rear springs won't be fine for SG as the weight is very similar, but you can only fit SF rear springs in place of the older parallel springs, not the later pigtail style.

Simon

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WRX fitment.....
Saloon struts from 01MY onwards, and wagon springs to suite (noting change in rear spring style at 05MY).

Breaker takeoffs...

I can't see why SF rear springs won't be fine for SG as the weight is very similar, but you can only fit SF rear springs in place of the older parallel springs, not the later pigtail style.

Simon
Thank you Simon - that is incredibly helpful.

J. :Banane35:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts