Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
05 2.0xt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, Sorry if we are going over the same ground on this subject, i'm just trying to get definitive answers for the various options for replacing knackered SLS struts on an SG. It seems there are a few of us that own SG's that have reached the age/mileage for strut replacement and don't want to just chuck a big wodge of cash at the local dealer..

As far as I can see my options are..

1. Buy two new SLS struts from a maindealer. £300 each side?

2. Buy the SG non SLS replacements from KYB, fit my SLS rear springs and have a 'saggy butt' £70 each side?

3. Buy some flashy aftermarket suspension kit that lowers the car all round and includes replacement of the front struts too. £Bigbucks?

Can people elaborate on/correct any of the above for me please..

Ideally I would like to end up with a standard ride height.
I don't want to compromise my standard ride quality if possible.
I would not be too upset with a slightly lowered vehicle, as long as it was evenly lowered.
I tow a car transporter trailer fairly frequently.

You SF boys seem to have the option of buying KYB springs that will restore your ride height back to normal when you replace SLS with non SLS. Why can't we do that on the SG?

Thank you in advance for any input..

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Have a look at DH Cars

Under Car Modification > Forester > Suspension

Non-SLS KYB + Pink STi springs. Should cost approx £300 - £350 all in... been thinking about doing it to my XT but don't have the cash or sign off from the other half at the moment.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Looking at the specs I think that while the SF rears are not identical to the SG, the non SLS springs wil do, the weight is only 30Kg different after all, so I would suggest KYB SG rear with KYB SF rear springs.

Don't use SLS springs with KYB's no only is it saggy butted, it will be soft as a blancmange!

Simon

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Looking at the specs I think that while the SF rears are not identical to the SG, the non SLS springs wil do, the weight is only 30Kg different after all, so I would suggest KYB SG rear with KYB SF rear springs.

Don't use SLS springs with KYB's no only is it saggy butted, it will be soft as a blancmange!

Simon
The reason the rear springs are different is that the SF springs are cropped both ends hence the handed top mounts . The SG springs are pigtail at the top end. Therefore you would have to change top mounts as well.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Paul, I am about to upgrade all shocks of my 99 SF turbo so will have a set of rear SLS shocks for sale - they have covered 90K and and don't know or squeak (I haven't inspected them off the car)

Let me know if they are of interest.

Tom

·
Registered
05 2.0xt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Cheers Guys, thanks for the patience and the input, I'm going to follow up on Giggsy's suggestion, a complete set of STI springs, (assuming that they are compatible with Non SLS struts.) and new KYB Non SLS struts at the back.

·
Registered
2004 forester X
62 Posts
Please let me know how you get on as I have the same issue with one rear SLS.
Seems that us with SG5 have a problem that SF's have cured.
Don has been really helpful - thanks
------
2004 X SG5 92,000 miles

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Inthe end probably a good compromise although you wil need to check DHCars prices as they usually reflect the Yen exchange rate.

Last time these springs were discussed they were £57.00 each.

And lastly you will all be needing this........:biggrin:

http://www.scoobymods.com/jdm-forester-sti-pink-t2666.html

·
Registered
04 forester x
23 Posts
Ok Cheers Guys, thanks for the patience and the input, I'm going to follow up on Giggsy's suggestion, a complete set of STI springs, (assuming that they are compatible with Non SLS struts.) and new KYB Non SLS struts at the back.
hi paul you done the change yet and did you have any problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts